androleaks: browse and search through wikileaks

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

androleaks: browse and search through wikileaks

Postby tripy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:51 pm

Hello people,

I may not have been very active on this site, but I have read (and learned) a lot lately.
I finally jumped on the android development wagon, and this is the result: androleaks (I know, I have no imaginations when it comes to names).

It's a very simple app, that allows you to search and browse wikileaks cables released from your mobile device.
I tried to keep it the simpliest possible and compatible with largest numbers.
I tested it in android 1.6 to 2.2, and foud no problems.

I have still 1 or 2 things I'd like to implement, like a widget giving you an alarm on new disclosed leaks, and to join the twitter timeline and facebook feed in one activity, rather than linking to the websites.

But I'd like to ask for comments yet.
I only have 2 devices to test onto, an HTC magic and an HTC desire, both running froyo.
In the emulators, I had no problems, and the speed seemed relatively correct.
What do you think?
Do you have suggestions, remarks?

Thanks.
Tripy.
tripy
Freshman
Freshman

Re: androleaks: browse and search through wikileaks

Postby Schermvlieger » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi Thierry,

I recommend you clarify the differences between the full and the lite version to your customers.

Also, I recommend to maximize the screen real estate reserved for the body text. On a HVGA device, less than half of the screen is avaiable for it at the moment. Lastly, I suggest adding an option to increase the font for the body text and the option to switch the colors to black text on a white background.

For the rest it works really well; I think you can be proud of your achievement and I hope you'll have a lot of downloads!
Schermvlieger
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Re: androleaks: browse and search through wikileaks

Postby tripy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks schermvlieger,

For now, appart the ads in the lite, there are no differences.
The reason is, that I felt that too little was provided by my first version, and as I reached now an acceptable level (in my opinion) I have them both synchronized.

The next evolutions I am planning though will only be integrated in the full (browse by tags, widget and alert when new content is available).
I'm wondering about making a composite display, ike the "friends" launcherpro widget, that cumuls facebook, twitter and news streams together.
It's been a fun week, implementing and discovering all this!

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look to implement them. It's true that the screen estate can be sparse on a hvga device, and it was designed towards this at first.
But I thought that having titles and urls cut was a bit too much.
The title is relatively important, and when you only see "www.wikileaks.ch" in the url, you ahve no idea that you are not going to land on the leak page.
But I will change the way this is presented, I think.
tripy
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Promote your Android Application