AndroidSOS - the ONLY thing that matters

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

AndroidSOS - the ONLY thing that matters

Postby lordhong » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:42 pm

An Android application that can flash Morse code with the default message as SOS. This is the essential life-saving application you absolutely must have in your Android-powered phone! Imagine your romantic Alaska cruise vacation goes Titanic, with little to non-existent cellphone signal coverage, the only thing you will ever need is a Morse-code-SOS-flashlight!

There's more to this application, you can enter any phrase and it will translate into Morse codes and flash it out for you; very handy in the case you want to ask the girl next door for a date but too shy to say so... 8-B

I also setup a google project for this:
http://code.google.com/p/android-sos/ :D
lordhong
Developer
Developer

Postby plusminus » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:10 pm

:lol: Nice project.

You use the whole display for flashing :?: or the LED :?:

Awesome feature would be, if the "helping person"/girl ;) could back-translate the Morse-code he/she sees by hitting a key in morse-specific time-intervals.

:)

Best Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lordhong » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:21 pm

plusminus wrote:You use the whole display for flashing :?: or the LED :?:

whole display, just draw black and white (alternating w/ different time interval)

I was not able to find LED or backlight service, and I think it's an over-kill anyway.
Simply drawing the whole screen black and/or white is just one method call on the canvas object :lol:

plusminus wrote:Awesome feature would be, if the "helping person"/girl ;) could back-translate the Morse-code he/she sees by hitting a key in morse-specific time-intervals.

This is ultra cool! Let's leave some "upgrade room" for Andorid Challenge No. 2 :P
If we exhaust all the options/upgrades, there's 0 chance to win round 2.
:lol: just kidding... thanks for your idea!
lordhong
Developer
Developer

Postby Peli » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:22 am

Hey!

This is a nice cool application. For the Titanic, it would be cool, if all phones on the ship are Wifi or bluetooth synced and can flash SOS synchronously.

Have the Morse signal output on your vibrator, and it could tell you the time in your pocket.
Have the signal output by sound or vibrator, and you could help blind people with short notifications that they don't want everybody else in the room to understand.
And of course decode the flashes recorded by video, mic, or accelerometer into text and control every Android application by Morse code :)

Some of this could be more easily possible, if applications shared a standard way of exposing and receiving text from views, so that all applications could be connected to a Morse Encoder/Decoder, but also Braille reader or text-to-speech screen reader. This would be one of the goals of OpenIntents ( http://code.google.com/p/openintents/wiki/Ideas ). If you are interested, join us to help. We look for good programmers like you are.

(I had posted about the possibility to connect arbitrary Android applications to Morse code at this other discussion thread
http://groups.google.com/group/android- ... 1d410c3bb#
)

Peli
Peli
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby certron » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:57 pm

Now I feel stupid, as I am making a similar type of application involving morse code...

Regardless, I will continue, as I've already done enough work to make it useful, I just need to finish up with the screens and passing data back and forth. Maybe I will put the code up on a site for other people, but first I want to make it a much better application.
certron
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby lordhong » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:00 pm

wow, :wink: i need to seriously resume my application... i haven't done much since 2008... you know, boring daily work :(
lordhong
Developer
Developer

Postby certron » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:37 am

You need to resume yours? I need to finish mine! Work, sleep, distractions, trying to make money, studying, that is why mine isn't yet finished...

The Notepad tutorials were very elightening, I might even be able to get something useful done now that I have completed them.

One thing I have to ask: how are you translating between Morse code and text? I have 2 arrays that I made a hashmap out of, but I also have a special array that I'm using for the input phase... but I probably shouldn't say any more, since that is most of the program that is actually done already.
certron
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby lordhong » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:04 am

well, it's not hard to figure out. i think anyone doing Morse Code will need the mapping, hence the HashMap.
I'm also using them for the mapping.

mine isn't finished either, it's just a prototype, just like you, i have to do boring day job, 2 hour commute, family, kids, study, ... not much time left afterwards...

good luck
lordhong
Developer
Developer

Return to Promote your Android Application