AndNav! - Android Map-Routing-System!

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

Postby plusminus » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:12 am

Hey guys,

the next release will also include the following feature :darrow: There will be an arrow painted to the map, that indicates the next turn:

I hope you'll like it :)

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Andnav in realdevice

Postby lux_1 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:42 am

can you inform me , how i can run andnav in realdevice.

I did download AndNav_20080528_v0.6.0_alpha.apk

I would like to know how i can run this app?
lux_1
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Andnav in realdevice

Postby plusminus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:36 am

lux_1 wrote:I would like to know how i can run this app?

AndNav is not yet out for the market :!:

Preview:
First AndNav (!) test on my G1 :!: Shows the not realtime-navigation.
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

install error on real device

Postby lux_1 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:35 am

I tried to install in this app in real android device .. But i am getting error any tips..

C:\android\android-sdk_114343_windows\tools>adb install -l AndNav_20080528_v0.6.
0_alpha.apk
400 KB/s (1477010 bytes in 3.603s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/AndNav_20080528_v0.6.0_alpha.apk
Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_MANIFEST_MALFORMED]

C:\android\android-sdk_114343_windows\tools>
lux_1
Freshman
Freshman

Postby DDM123 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:32 pm

Hello again, plusminus. I saw that AndNav was briefly in the Android Market, so I snagged it, and it is coming along nicely.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Lots of people are looking forward to the finished product.
DDM123
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:59 am

DDM123 wrote:Hello again, plusminus. I saw that AndNav was briefly in the Android Market, so I snagged it, and it is coming along nicely.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Lots of people are looking forward to the finished product.

AndNav is in the market now. Already did 3 updates, fixing WiFi-Problems and not-loading Maps.
So its both working for you @DDM123 :?:

Best Regards,
Nicolas
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DDM123 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:12 am

It appears to be working pretty well. I did have to force close it just now when I zoomed in to my location when I had a route plotted out. My GPS seems to think I'm up in Harlem, but that's where I was a few hours ago. (regular google maps thinks the same thing) You mentioned before that the Google API doesn't allow for live navigation, could you explain that to me real quick?

I live in NYC and don't have my car handy, so I can't test out the navigation functions. I think the application is brilliant, and I'm glad I could help test it out a little 2 weeks ago or whenever that was.
DDM123
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:24 am

DDM123 wrote:It appears to be working pretty well. I did have to force close it just now when I zoomed in to my location when I had a route plotted out. My GPS seems to think I'm up in Harlem, but that's where I was a few hours ago. (regular google maps thinks the same thing) You mentioned before that the Google API doesn't allow for live navigation, could you explain that to me real quick?

I live in NYC and don't have my car handy, so I can't test out the navigation functions. I think the application is brilliant, and I'm glad I could help test it out a little 2 weeks ago or whenever that was.

The Android/Google Maps Terms of Service disallow any realtime routeguidance based on a sensor. Which is what a navigation-application is in the common sense. The reason for that are the various data-providers (liek NAVTEQ, Teleatlas, NASA, etc...) that earn a lot of money, by selling licenses of their data to navigation-system manufacturers like TomTom and all the others.

AndNav provides WalkingDirections also :!:
I've been in Manhattan the weekend before this one :D and you should better be trying the walking-directions :lol:

Best Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DDM123 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:09 pm

So do Google's TOS mean that there will never be a realtime-navigation app available? Or could it use non-Google APIs for navigation? So does that mean AndNav! is capable, but that feature is just omitted?

I hope I see it in some form in the future.
DDM123
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:19 pm

DDM123 wrote:So do Google's TOS mean that there will never be a realtime-navigation app available?

Just ones based on the GoogleMaps-Data are not allowed.
DDM123 wrote:Or could it use non-Google APIs for navigation?
Yes thats what AndNav2 does. it works on OpenStreetMaps.
DDM123 wrote:So does that mean AndNav! is capable, but that feature is just omitted?
Exactly, when i recognized that I was like :evil: :x :o :evil: :evil: :x :o
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DDM123 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:40 pm

And OpenStreetMaps can handle directions and whatnot? I was just looking through it and it seems capable for the most part. Is AndNav2 already in the works? I'd love to beta test it.

One thing I should mention is that I was giving a demo of all my new Android apps to my fiancee last night, and she had trouble figuring out how to use AndNav. For me it's easy, but she had problems making a route. Unfortunately, she's the kind of person Android apps should be geared towards.
DDM123
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:24 pm

DDM123 wrote:And OpenStreetMaps can handle directions and whatnot? I was just looking through it and it seems capable for the most part. Is AndNav2 already in the works? I'd love to beta test it.

One thing I should mention is that I was giving a demo of all my new Android apps to my fiancee last night, and she had trouble figuring out how to use AndNav. For me it's easy, but she had problems making a route. Unfortunately, she's the kind of person Android apps should be geared towards.

AndNav2 is derived from AndNav1 (just with another Maps-Underlayed) and so currently looks just like AndNav1.

Not good that your fiancee couldn't figure out how to get directions :? I'm thinking of how to make AndNav easier to use :? That will be some hard end-user testing :(
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DDM123 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:53 pm

Personally, I'd start with text-based options. And have the main menu be:

1) Where am I?
2) Get Directions
-> By Address
-> By Map
(Maybe include By Name, using wikipedia or google or something, since wikipedia apps are so popular)
-> Favorites
-> Home
3) First Aid
4) Settings (leave structure as it is, just with more text)

5) Exit (Important, since people complain that other applications don't close by simply hitting back or home)

It would to see speed statistics on the navigation screens, since it would be nice to know my speed if I were riding a bike or something, as well as maybe altitude, even though GPS altitude is somewhat inaccurate.
DDM123
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby ChrisAshton84 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Hi, I just noticed you are working on a version that uses OpenStreetMaps?! Great! I've been interested in seeing open maps on an actual device. (I live in a new subdivision which after a year still does not show up on any of the map databases.) If you make any progress with this I'd love to know as it'd be great to have GPS which can actually get me home.

Also, if you're going to be using this, could you add an option to log your coords? I know there are other apps which do this for android but they all seem to require an online account. Being able to log new streets in this app and upload them to the OpenStreetMaps site would be ideal - I know the site already has people doing this, but allowing anyone with an android phone to contribute would really help.

Thanks, and I hope this works out!
ChrisAshton84
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby plusminus » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:50 am

ChrisAshton84 wrote:Hi, I just noticed you are working on a version that uses OpenStreetMaps?! Great! I've been interested in seeing open maps on an actual device. (I live in a new subdivision which after a year still does not show up on any of the map databases.) If you make any progress with this I'd love to know as it'd be great to have GPS which can actually get me home.

Also, if you're going to be using this, could you add an option to log your coords? I know there are other apps which do this for android but they all seem to require an online account. Being able to log new streets in this app and upload them to the OpenStreetMaps site would be ideal - I know the site already has people doing this, but allowing anyone with an android phone to contribute would really help.

Thanks, and I hope this works out!

Hi Chris,

I'm doing all that :) : Logging GPS-Traces and contribute them back to OSM.
So if you have driven on an unknown street once, and check back some days later, you can expect AndNav2 / OSM to have that street now available :!:

My coworker in Germany just set up some Routing-Data for AndNav2 for me to test here in College Park, MD and it works amazing :)

Best Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Promote your Android Application