AndCam3D - Android 3D stereo camera

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

AndCam3D - Android 3D stereo camera

Postby plusminus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Hello Community,

(once again) I made a new app, called AndCam3D.

AndCam3D is a 3D stereo camera, which can generate 3D-images with different techniques.

Homepage & Info: http://andcam3d.anddev.org/

G1-Download:
http://market.android.com/search?q=pnam ... v.andcam3d

Examples:
Wigglegrams:
Anaglyph-images:

More Info: http://andcam3d.anddev.org/

Please give Feedback :)

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Last edited by plusminus on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PaulT » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:38 am

That's cool. I like there wigglegrams, and you might be able to improve those a bit.

Have you seen when you clear a level on Quake? While the stats are displayed the background gently rocks left and right. If you took a movie instead of just two pictures, you could do something like that. Just needs a sinusoidal oscillation which you can make by dropping out frames in the middle of the range.

To play back on Android, have you looked at a web page with a bit of Javascript which loads the images and displays them alternately?
Paul
PaulT
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:52 am

Hi Paul,

Up to now I didn't want to replace the system Gallery for viewing and picking images, but this prevents gifs from being shown. A webview would be one alternative... thx

Regards,
Nicolas
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby edrache » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:52 am

Hi,

I really would try to test app but I've got forceclose on opening and I cant :(
edrache
Once Poster
Once Poster

Full 3D Scanner

Postby warrenbaltz » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:38 pm

That's a cool idea. I've been thinking of something related for a while.

I haven't acted on it because it's just so darn complicated, but you should be able to scan a 3D object with your G1 and a laser pointer.

If you combine the camera with an angle-mounted line laser pointer, you can get a single 3D data slice. If you move the camera and laser, you can get another slice... and so on.

If you know the path the camera traveled while it was recording slices, then you can piece together all the slices into a complete 3D model.

It happens that this is a somewhat solved problem. You can track a camera's path by identifying "corners" in the images and correlating them between frames to measure the camera's movement during that frame. The problem is that it is computationally very expensive - probably too much for your poor little G1's mobile processor to handle.

But wait! The calculations can be greatly simplified if you have a good guess as to which direction the camera moved... And the G1 has...

wait for it...

accelerometers!

So the accelerometers can tell roughly where the camera went during recording and the image-based method can refine the motion from there - which is computationally feasible at that point.

Then combine the 3D slices into a mesh of triangles and... voila! You have a full 3D model of your hand, your computer mouse, your shoe... whatever. You can display it with openGL, send it to a friend, or save it for later - who knows.

Too bad it's so complicated though :wink:. Probably too much to whip together in a weekend.
warrenbaltz
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:31 am

edrache wrote:Hi,

I really would try to test app but I've got forceclose on opening and I cant :(

There is a new version on the market, which should no more 'Force Close'.
I assume you took the photos using the Hardware-Camera Button, right?

Best Regards,
Nicolas
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Full 3D Scanner

Postby PaulT » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:07 pm

warrenbaltz wrote:I haven't acted on it because it's just so darn complicated, but you should be able to scan a 3D object with your G1 and a laser pointer.

That would be a very cool thing to do, but actually you don't need the laser. You should have all the data for a 3D model from just a stereo pair. Obviously you don't get behind data, but you can take more pictures if you like.

As long as there is enough similarity between successive frames, you can infer the new position of the phone relative to the target each time.

This is tricky, though :D

Paul.
Paul
PaulT
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Promote your Android Application