Alternative to Andriod Market

Search for BETA-testers and/or promote your own Application in a decent way.

Alternative to Andriod Market

Postby chris_GJ » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:20 am

If you want an alternative to the Andriod Market, check out GetJar. We have 20M downloads a month and will offer in-app ads and payments to monetize your apps.

The benefit of GetJar is that you can get free distribution without relying on placement in the Market. The leading apps get millions of downloads, such as Opera Mini with 10M downloads.

If you’re interested, check out http://www.getjar.com/software to see the top apps and http://my.getjar.com/site/developers to learn more.
chris_GJ
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:39 pm

:/ I can find only one Android-App inside there..

Is Advertising in Android-Apps supported?

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chris_GJ » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:20 pm

Yes, GetJar has a lot of traffic but just opened to Andriod apps yesterday. If you get in early, you'll have a better chance to stay in the top positions.

Ads are coming. If you're interested, upload an app, then contact advertise@getjar.com.

Thanks!
chris_GJ
Freshman
Freshman

Postby avolovoy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:19 pm

If you ask me and you dont :) i have a strong opinion that all the alternative stores are bad for the android platform, developers and users.
Sure, market right now can be sold as a vacuum, cause it's sucks. But consider this - @IF@ Google make it right and make it available for everybody on the web, so you won't have to have a phone to download the app - then WHY do i need all these third party stores ?
I'll host my apps on the market and on my website - that's it. Why user will have to chase 10 different stores to find the app or developer will need to upload app to 10 different places.

Well that's all i have to say about that.
Alexey Volovoy
Bytesharp.NET
avolovoy
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:37 pm

What you say is true, but on the other hand we preach Openness and choise, yet we don't like being able to choose between different stores. I see it like this: Market costs me a lot of money (30%), so I'll sell my apps there more expensive in comparison to SlideMe. Well I don't sell any apps, but you get what I mean :).

And Market isn't really an option for (small) Open Source projects, they don't have the money to spend $25, so SlideMe is a good option and their site, of course.
MrSnowflake

Postby avolovoy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:49 pm

That's true. But the part for the potential buyer to figure out where the hell he/she can find your app will be really really bad.
Steve Jobs is a marketing genius. And sometimes limit choices will actually get you better results in terms of revenue ( member long lines for people who want to buy iphone ? ). I'm looking to get my sales via contracts outside the market after free apps. But if i'd want actually to sell my apps, again i would want my users know the exact way how to find me and they should jump through hoops to find my next application it should as idiot proof as possible. If you'd see comments on the market you'd understand what i mean, public who downloading apps, in general, not really mature to make a decision towards openness of software and navigate to another store ( for that you need to open a browser and url and god forbid push something like search ). So again, for the platform popularity it's really bad to have 10 stores with software. And for sales - just make like 20% margin - people won't care about 1$ more or have a signature app on the market along with demo versions and rest on host on your website - easy enough IMO.

As for a small business SlideMe is allright i guess and i'll continue to use them. But if we're talking open - code.google.com..
And 25$ too much ? It's going to be a really small biz.. i'd say.
Alexey Volovoy
Bytesharp.NET
avolovoy
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to Promote your Android Application