Porting to $150 cell phone with 3.2-inch display

Discuss porting Android to any device.

Porting to $150 cell phone with 3.2-inch display

Postby Vark » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:08 am

Hi folks,

I am sure you have all seen those iphone "clones" on Youtube. They bear a resemblence to the iphone but they operate completely differently and have buggy software.

Nevertheless people rave about what a value they are for only $150-$200.

They would be much more valuable if they had Android running on them.

Here you can find some technical data on these phones:

P168 page

i68 page
Vark
Freshman
Freshman

Postby alex2308 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:29 am

it was in my mind, too. i own a cipod and i know quality is good (its awesome compared to the price or ipod). but the CPU is different from apple's in the cipod and ciphone. guess that might be a problem. there is no grafics chip eighter. the touchscreen resolutions in android are higher. and so on.
but i believe you can port it there. depending on CPU support, you could cross compile android and push it onto any device, capable of running it.

just my 2 cents
alex2308
Developer
Developer

Postby Vark » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:41 am

alex2308 wrote:it was in my mind, too. i own a cipod and i know quality is good (its awesome compared to the price or ipod). but the CPU is different from apple's in the cipod and ciphone.

The CPU in the Ciphone is an MTK 6229 or 6230. These have ARM7 cores. I believe the top speed of the 6229 is 104 MHz but if you look at the graphics, it's pretty fast, which leads me to suspect there is some graphics acceleration.
Vark
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Porting Android