Porting a JME app on Android

Discuss porting Android to any device.

Porting a JME app on Android

Postby Lex » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:47 pm

Hi folks,

I've been developping and playing around with Android since the day it got released. ( I must precise I never touched Java ME before ). I developped some small apps just to learn how to use it.

I'm working in a company and they're asking me to port an existing java ME app to the Android platform. The thing is, I have to keep the exat same interfaces that the original program ( I can't just do a *classic* Android application with Activities/Views/XML design and stuff : I have to deal with Items, Display, Screens (all the java ME stuff ). And I find very difficult to *transpose* the java ME for Android, it seems like I have to reinvent the wheel, plus I don't feel like the app is taking advantage of all the cool stuff Android platform provides. I have to do all those little twists to make the program work and look like its a java ME program (even though its not).

I'm feeling confused because the people and the company are really great, their product is just awesome, but I'm not sure if what they're asking me to do is *normal* or is it tricky ? I'd like to know your view on this one. I'm just an intern so I won't question their technology choices, but still if this is the best way. Please help me so I can get a clear picture.
Lex
Developer
Developer

Porting

Postby tberthel » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:32 am

Some midlets will be easy to port while others will take huge work.

So, it depends on the project.

I would say that all companies want more than they give. Usually in return you get to stick with what you like to specialize in.

So if I was an intern I would be happy to do a project in exchange for some real money.
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Charles » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:38 am

Hi All,

I am new guys for android, and I have the same question, I need to port J2me(mostly is low UI things) to Android, but i do not have any idea for it now, could someone can share your experience? i will appreciate for you!

Thanks,
Charles
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Charles » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:38 am

Hi All,

I am new guys for android, and I have the same question, I need to port J2me(mostly is low UI things) to Android, but i do not have any idea for it now, could someone can share your experience? i will appreciate for you!

Thanks,
Charles
Freshman
Freshman

Porting Android

Postby bobrathbone » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 am

I am the author of a Flight planning program called AviatorCalc (See www.aviatorcalc.com) which is written in J2ME.
I first converted my standard aviatorcalc.jar file to aviatorcalc.apk using the following link.
http://www.netmite.com/android/srv/1.6/getapk.php

I obtained an Android emulator which I downloaded from:
http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f3/j ... -out-6129/
I had to switch of Aircraft mode to access the internet via the Android Web browser.

I put the aviiatorcalc.jar on my web site and downloaded it into the emulator. It automatically downloaded the Netmite J2ME runner at the same time. I chose the option to directly load down from the developers site.
You can get this emulator directly from http://www.netmite.com/android/index.html.

I ran my application but these were results.
For the most part the programs ran however I found the character display particularly in forms was very poor. Not at all sharp or clear.

I could not scroll down through lists.

Some graphics did not display correctly.
For instance a simple race track pattern used by aircraft when they are holding displayed as an oval.

I got a proffesional Boeing 767 pilot to test my program on a real Android phone (HTC Nexus One) and the results were the same so the problems on the face of it the Netmite run time seems to have problems which I don't see in other J2ME runners.

I downloaded and installed version 1.7.0.2 but the results were the same.

If anyone has experience of the Netmite runner please share them with this forum.
Bob Rathbone
bobrathbone
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to Porting Android