JavaME running now on Android - ME4Android

Discuss porting Android to any device.

JavaME running now on Android - ME4Android

Postby plusminus » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:54 pm

Good news,

Carlos from Poliplus Software succeeded in running JavaME-Code in the Android-Emulator.
He calls his product: ME4Android

Since the Android SDK came out last week, I've been toying with the idea of porting ME4SE into Android as to make it as easy as possible to port over current JavaME code. With ME4Android, I wanted the porting to be done automatically so no lines of JavaME code would need to be modified but only the build scripts, so targeting Android would only require a rebuild of current JavaME code.

On my first pass at ME4Android, I used our rather large JavaME app called FlyerApp as the test app. This code is done completely on top of Canvas so it only uses JavaME's low level user interface libraries. The code uses a few threads, supports animations and does networking. I figured if ME4Android can run FlyerApp, it will be able to run a lot of Java games too.
:arrow: Read his full article.

[align=center]Example Screenshot:
Image[/align]

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

ME4Android

Postby rudy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:57 pm

Hello plusmininus,

first excuse my very bad english, i was an new member here in this forum and i loved to play with the code and my favorous language is java or somethimes a litle bit smalltalk :D

Then thank you about this great news, i used long time ago the netbeans ide with the mobility pack and it was great to code with the netbeans.

So in the meantime i began to coded with the eclipse in java, its an great ide, but sometimes i think eclipse it's too big for me. So i see that it gives an great tool whre i can work than with the netbeans understand it right ?

Best regards rudy :lol:
rudy
Freshman
Freshman

Re: JavaME running now on Android - ME4Android

Postby udi » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:02 pm

plusminus / Carlos,

loaded the Midletactivity to the emulator and ran it. seems to be there but no store flyers are found. what am i missing.

thnx, /udi
udi
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ansh.chauhan » Tue May 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Hey wats up..

Can anybody tell me....how we can port my j2me appliction in Andriod is dere ny specially tool...or software which did this.....
ansh.chauhan
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Lex » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:08 am

Hi everyone

I really need help to port a JaveME app to Android. Could someone share his knowledge about ME4Android ? I couldnt find anything on the web about how to use it ?
Help please :)
Lex
Developer
Developer

Postby tberthel » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:34 am

I would be happy to do the port for $
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby sblantipodi » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:14 pm

JavaME to Android isn't a port, is a rewrite from scratch job.
Sincerelly I hate android for this, it caused only more fragmentation to mobile world
that is really really too fragmented.

There are more mobile OS than desktop OS.

- Symbian
- Windows Mobile 6.x and 7.x
- WebOs
- Android
- Maemo
- Meego
- Blackberry
- iphone
- bada

it's a shame, javaME could be a glue for all OS, it all OS support it...
sblantipodi
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Port vs. New Impl

Postby tberthel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:55 am

Well my games are J2ME and run on Android and J2SE, but I use emulation.

So you can have multi-platform support, but developing a new project for each OS is an alternative.

I conclude you can do either and they both have merit.
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Re: Port vs. New Impl

Postby sblantipodi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:36 am

tberthel wrote:Well my games are J2ME and run on Android and J2SE, but I use emulation.

So you can have multi-platform support, but developing a new project for each OS is an alternative.

I conclude you can do either and they both have merit.

From my point of view only simple software can be emulated do to the small set of supported APIs
from the emulators.
Emulate is always a third chance due to performance problem and APIs restrictions.
sblantipodi
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby tberthel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:34 am

Well MicroEmulator supports all of J2ME not just a single API. The Bridge pattern often used to do emulation should be only about 10 percent overhead just like virtualization.

So your are correct in some cases, but my games perform fine on all three platforms and more than 20 operating systems. My little action games show it is possible. Although, it did take some performance improvements and forethought.
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby sblantipodi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:24 pm

tberthel wrote:Well MicroEmulator supports all of J2ME not just a single API. The Bridge pattern often used to do emulation should be only about 10 percent overhead just like virtualization.

So your are correct in some cases, but my games perform fine on all three platforms and more than 20 operating systems. My little action games show it is possible. Although, it did take some performance improvements and forethought.

this is incorrect, microemulator supports less than 1/4 of the APIs available from a modern KVM.
If your game uses only 2D canvas, ok you will have no problem with microemulator but there are thousands of app where microemulator doesn't work.
Talking about games think to 3D game using OpenGL JSR239, M3G JSR184 or Mascot, this is only a small example of the unsupported software from microemulator.
sblantipodi
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

J2ME impl does not require other optional JSRs

Postby tberthel » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:41 am

I was not referring to anything beyond MIDP. Those JSRs are extra. Not all devices support them.

You are wrong about support for OpenGL ES and M3G. They do have some support for extra JSRs but I didn't say anything about extra JSRs. As they are not needed to support J2ME fully.

I personally have Touch Screen, Vector Graphics, and OpenGL on all three platforms. So I have a lot more than drawing to the canvas, but really who needs more that drawing to the canvas for the most part anyways :)
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Re: J2ME impl does not require other optional JSRs

Postby sblantipodi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:06 pm

tberthel wrote:You are wrong about support for OpenGL ES and M3G.

Tell me why please.
sblantipodi
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby tberthel » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:38 pm

Because those implementations do exist.
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby sblantipodi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 am

tberthel wrote:Because those implementations do exist.

as far as I can see from the official site microemu doesn't offer any mascot or opengl es,
where did you read it? :)
sblantipodi
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Next

Return to Porting Android