Widgets on HTC Sense UI very slow...

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Widgets on HTC Sense UI very slow...

Postby slajeune » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi,

I have coded a widget and it works fine and fast on pretty much all Android home launcher except HTC Sense UI. From what I can see, the sense ui is very aggressive in putting widgets to sleep when one leaves the screen where the widget is.

The result, my widget seems completely unresponsive! It does respond to a click event but it takes 3-5 seconds to respond! This works fast on the android home launcher.

Just an overview, all of the remote view refreshes and the actual processing of the clicking is done via a broadcastreceiver. As stated, this works fine on all home launchers except htc sense ui.

Does anybody have any hints to code something that would allow the widget to be a bit more responsive on the sense ui?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Stephane.
slajeune
Freshman
Freshman

Postby slajeune » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:02 pm

A bit more info. Seems that the HTC Sense UI version of android is very agressive in stopping widgets. This is true in the HTC Sense launcher and the android launcher of the same build (to a lesser extent). What I am seeing is the following:

- on the android launcher, if I wake up the device, it will take 3-5 seconds for ALL widgets (regardless of which screen you are on) to 'wake up'
- on the HTC Sense launcher, if I wake up the device, only the widgets on the current screen are woken up. The others are woken up WHEN you get to the screen. This will take about 3-5 seconds, which, again, might render your widget unresponsive during that time.

I might have some time this friday night to test one or two possible solution (i.e. not relying on the broadcastreceiver) but outside of this, I am clueless!

I have sent an email to HTC support about it, I will see what they come up with.

Cheers,
Stephane.
slajeune
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Widgets on HTC Sense UI very slow...

Postby yuvidroid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi,

did you manage to solve this problem?
I'm facing the exact same issue right now with my widgets. They work fine on the official Android home launcher, and other launcher, but on Sense it keeps putting my widgets to sleep..

Thanks!
YuviDroid
yuvidroid
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Widgets on HTC Sense UI very slow...

Postby slajeune » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi YuviDroid,

no, I wasn't able to modify this. This is simply how HTC Sense works. I was able to make my widget a bit more responsive by using only 1 class but, bottom line, HTC Sense isn't widget friendly.

Cheers,
Stephane.
slajeune
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Other Coding-Problems