Using ICU4J with Android

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Using ICU4J with Android

Postby jgindin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:30 am

I've not found any examples of how to get the icu4j (http://site.icu-project.org/) library working with Android. Actually, I'm only interested in the calendaring portion. I'm trying to use ICU4J version 4.2.1.

I'm trying to run the following code:
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  2.   hebrewCalendar = com.ibm.icu.util.Calendar.getInstance( new ULocale( "en_US@calendar=hebrew" ) );
  4.   hebrewDateFormatter = com.ibm.icu.text.DateFormat.getDateInstance( com.ibm.icu.text.DateFormat.LONG );
Parsed in 0.032 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

When I do, I get the following error:
Caused by: java.util.MissingResourceException: Could not find res_index
at com.ibm.icu.impl.ICUResourceBundle.createFullLocaleNameSet(ICUResourceBundle.java:568)
at com.ibm.icu.impl.ICUResourceBundle.access$300(ICUResourceBundle.java:36)
at com.ibm.icu.impl.ICUResourceBundle$AvailEntry.getFullLocaleNameSet(ICUResourceBundle.java:625)
at com.ibm.icu.impl.ICUResourceBundle.getFullLocaleNameSet(ICUResourceBundle.java:384)
at com.ibm.icu.impl.ICULocaleService$ICUResourceBundleFactory.getSupportedIDs(ICULocaleService.java:557)
at com.ibm.icu.impl.ICULocaleService$LocaleKeyFactory.handlesKey(ICULocaleService.java:389)
at com.ibm.icu.impl.ICULocaleService$LocaleKeyFactory.create(ICULocaleService.java:373)
at com.ibm.icu.impl.ICUService.getKey(ICUService.java:460)
at com.ibm.icu.impl.ICUService.getKey(ICUService.java:380)
at com.ibm.icu.impl.ICULocaleService.get(ICULocaleService.java:72)
at com.ibm.icu.impl.ICULocaleService.get(ICULocaleService.java:56)
at com.ibm.icu.util.CalendarServiceShim.createInstance(CalendarServiceShim.java:67)
at com.ibm.icu.util.Calendar.getInstanceInternal(Calendar.java:1634)
at com.ibm.icu.util.Calendar.getInstance(Calendar.java:1596)

I've confirmed that the icu4j.jar file does in fact have the res_index file:
5872 Defl:N 2099 64% 06-26-09 12:07 04bd7c44 com/ibm/icu/impl/data/icudt42b/res_index.res

As far as I can tell, it's almost as if the JAR file isn't in the classpath, but clearly it is, because the com.ibm.icu... classes are all found.

I've not found anything about anyone having similar issues, so either this is something stupid I'm doing, or else no one else has had to overcome this problem (yet).

Thanks for any help,

jay
jgindin
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to Other Coding-Problems