system log buffer size

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

system log buffer size

Postby alexagr » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:25 pm

Dear community.
I am encountering the problem of the log file size. The current logger is a cyclic buffer of the 64 Kb. This size is not enough due to the fact that system pushes a lot of messages to it. The "logcat -f" solution is not good because it has to be re-executed than the system is turned off. I've tried to run "logcat -f" from the application through the getRuntime.exec, however without any success.
Do anyone know, how can we control log size/severity or did anyone succeed to run the "logcat -f" from the android application?
Thanks in advance,
AGA
alexagr
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrSnowflake » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:59 am

Why not monitor the log to command-line, then you can see everything which passed from the start of the monitoring (and some more).

And the other way would be to implement your own logging.
MrSnowflake

Postby alexagr » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 am

MrSnowflake, thank you for your reply.
The problem of the command line monitoring is that It's necessary to run it on the startup and there is no way to introduce this on the real device. In case of the system crash there is actually no way for me to get the system log in let's say 4 hours after the crash.
For my understanding implementing my own logging doesn't help because I need the system log information (if my program crashes)
Thanks in advance,
AGA
alexagr
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrSnowflake » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:07 am

K, I get the situation now. But I don't know how to handle it, sorry...
MrSnowflake

Postby SlumberMachine » Mon May 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Unless you have the device connected to a computer and you are writing all logging to the computer there is no way you will be able to get the log over that time frame. The log has a circular 64k buffer, so your only choice is to grab the log right after an error occurs.
SlumberMachine
Developer
Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems