Something about HomeScreen

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Something about HomeScreen

Postby nelson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:43 am

Hi there,

I am writing a homescreen app (kind of launcher) to gain parental control on Android machines.

Since I am expected my fellow users are mostly newbie in Android System or even have no understanding in computing. Thus, wish to minimize/reduce complexity on execution.

For normal situation, once a user set default homescreen app, they need to go through process below:

Options --> Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications --> search the app --> clear its default option.

It is way too much for a newbie handling this procedures, and bit too much for writing it in Instruction. Thus, I am wondering are there any way to shorten this procedures?

From research, noted Android don't allowed program to set itself as default app. So I can only think of 2 work-around (which I have no idea it is achievable?):
  1. Remove the HomeScreen Default for the default app.
  2. Direct show user HomeScreen Default chooser window.

Can someone help to show some code or direction?

TQ in advanced.
nelson
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Something about HomeScreen

Postby Phyll » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi Nelson,

It seems to me if you have these filters in your manifest:

<intent-filter>
<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
<category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME"/>
<category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
</intent-filter>

Before the home screen app is started, the home screen apps should appear in a choice menu. That seems like the easiest place for the user to set your new app as the default. Otherwise, I don't think there is any easier way.

Perhaps you could get your program to run this choice menu on its first time or until someone makes it the default thereby making it more likely someone will use the easier way. Although I'm not certain how you get its default state afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Phyll
Phyll
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems