self-upgrade application?

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

self-upgrade application?

Postby ethrbunny » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:33 pm

We are using the g1 in a research study. We have several dozen phones deployed in our community and need a way to upgrade our application without (re)visiting every installation. Can an application stop / terminate itself or another application? Can the 'adb copy' process be run remotely or is there method to copy / install an application from within the device itself?

I understand that the market does this but Im not clear on how to emulate this process from my app.

Suggestions?
ethrbunny
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Kyros » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:05 pm

If you release a new version on the Android Market everyone with the application installled gets a notification that a new version is available.
Kyros
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby ethrbunny » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:41 pm

Trouble is that I need to upgrade it *without* any user interaction. The app should be able to regularly check if there is a newer version available and install it without bothering the user. The subjects in this study are not computer savvy.
ethrbunny
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby qlimax » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:03 pm

ethrbunny wrote:Trouble is that I need to upgrade it *without* any user interaction. The app should be able to regularly check if there is a newer version available and install it without bothering the user. The subjects in this study are not computer savvy.

I think that goes a little against some security policies...
User must be informed, your upgrade might be changing the app permission, therefore the user must confirm this change.
Additionaly, upgades might be downloaded OTA, the user must to be informed about the data-traffic usage...
¯`·.¸¸.><((((º>¯`·.¸¸. ><((((º>
qlimax
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby ethrbunny » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:00 am

Hmm.. ok.. can an application copy in another app ala adb?
ethrbunny
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems