Reg: run our application After install .apk file

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Reg: run our application After install .apk file

Postby Sri » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:59 am

Hi All,

I have one problem. I am installing .apk file in emulator through manually. After i click on that file my current application runs fine.

Now my question is without my clicking (involvment) can we invoke our application after installation .apk file?

If yes, please provide the information or any links...

If No, why that run application not possible?

I need Urgent.

Thanks

Sri.
Sri
Developer
Developer

Re: Reg: run our application After install .apk file

Postby Rahul » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:00 am

see in my point of view you cannot launch it without giving a command.

If you run your project from eclipse this command would be triggered automatically post installation. If you install it via shell prompt you need to enter one more command post install

try am command from adb shell prompt

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  2. am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n
  4. and.test/and.test.test
Parsed in 0.030 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

where,
and.test - package name
and.test.test is the activity name

Sri wrote:Hi All,

I have one problem. I am installing .apk file in emulator through manually. After i click on that file my current application runs fine.

Now my question is without my clicking (involvment) can we invoke our application after installation .apk file?

If yes, please provide the information or any links...

If No, why that run application not possible?

I need Urgent.

Thanks

Sri.
[i]
Rahul
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Sri » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:41 am

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

But I want to deploy that .apk file in HTC Hero mobile. after install our application also will start without our involvment?

Please give the information.

Thanks
Sri.
Sri
Developer
Developer

Postby Rahul » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:47 am

hmmm....But tell me what are you trying to achieve out of it....? Anyhow if you post your application in the market we don't have an hand over it right..?

Sri wrote:Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

But I want to deploy that .apk file in HTC Hero mobile. after install our application also will start without our involvment?

Please give the information.

Thanks
Sri.
Rahul
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Sri » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:56 am

Hi,

thanks for ur reply.

my application is based on client server technology.
iam developing clientside for it.
in my application, i need to call a function that communicates with server and gets required data.
this function will be called 3 times
1) when sms is received.
2) when device bootup is completed.
3) when package is just installed.

i did 1 and 2 and iam trying 3one.

i tried by keeping a <receiver> that listens when package is installed,removed or updated but problem is not solved because this receiver is acting after installation of my application and this is called when any application is installed
that is not i want.

my requirement is that function should be called immediately when my application is installed

please help me urgent. i need for my end of project.

Thanks
Sri.
Sri
Developer
Developer

Postby Rahul » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:04 am

how does your receiver work..? Are you trying to start a new install from an existing application..?

---EDIT
did you check this link...?

http://groups.google.com/group/android- ... 5e0761c056
Rahul
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Sri » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:09 am

No. Actually i thought that receiver will listen to installation of my application also. But I realized that it won't listen to my application. Because my application is not yet installed.
Sri
Developer
Developer

Postby Sri » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:23 am

Thats what the procedure i followed.

But this receiver is part of our application and it won't listen to installation of our package.

my requirement is "when ever this application installed that function should call" and it is only one time process. i.e the function shouldn't call when other packages are installed.

If you dont mind can you give ur personal email id to "sriram.mca2009"(this is my email id). Because i need help . I am the fresher to android.
Sri
Developer
Developer

Postby Rahul » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:11 pm

is it so critical to send your notification after the application gets installed...?

If no then keep a flag or something in your launcher activity. If the user launches your app for the first time send a notification to the server and then flip your flag.
Rahul
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Sri » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:18 pm

thanks for your responses. I tried this one also as part of my application. but in my application no installation icon there. i.e we hide the activity based on my client requirement. So we disable that activity also.

In this case my appliation calls 1)sms received 2)mobile boot completed.

Now I want to implement same concept of above 1 and 2 after installation of that package also.

Actually in my application no GUI. All r running silently background. Can we use any services that wil invoke silently without our involvment?
Sri
Developer
Developer

Postby mukaibot » Sun May 02, 2010 11:12 pm

This sounds pretty darn dodgy. It's one thing to run a command in the background, but to actively hide the app so that the user doesn't know it's running? Is it some kind of virus or message logger?

I suspect the closest you're going to come to your goal is "communicating with server" on the first run (ie, when the application is started for the first time, once only).

Based on the information you've provided thus far Sri, I don't want to help you further unless you can tell me the application is legitimate!
mukaibot
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Other Coding-Problems