Questions about Android

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Questions about Android

Postby Nuladion » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:17 pm

Hello everyone,

As part of my graduation project I am looking into Android to see if it'd be interesting for the company I work for to develop a location-based application in Android.

I have read up on Android on some sites and already have a lot of information. But there are still a few things I haven't found an answer to. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me with this.

I'd like to know if Android is capable of doing the following:
  1. Is it possible to connect from your phone(Android) to a online server/website and send/recieve data (text, images, stream videos)?
  2. Is it possible to build a interface in Android which could easily by customised by someone who can't program in Android? Like a template system in which one could specify which content blocks would appear where on the screen. And which we could easily 'style' in a seperate file. Much like a HTML and CSS file, if you understand what I mean.
    If this is possible, could anyone give me a simple rundown on how this'd work?
  3. Is it possible to 'lock' a Phone when a certain application is running? Meaning that the user cannot exit that program. I'm asking this because we're looking into renting out Android phones with our software on it. But we don't want users to exit the software and do other stuff with the phone (like calling, using the internet, et cetera).
  4. Is it possible to play video and Adobe Flash files in Android?
  5. Will a Android application work on all Android phones? Or do we have to make seperate versions of the application for some phone models?
  6. Is it possible to use custom maps instead of Google Maps in the MapView? How would this work? I know Google Maps does support this, but I don't know how to implend it in Android, or if it is even possible?
  7. Is it possible to rotate a map corresponding the way a user is walking? (like TomTom Navigator does)

That's it. Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards,

Guido Kessels
Nuladion
Developer
Developer

Re: Questions about Android

Postby plusminus » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:34 am

Hello Nuladion,

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes (Video) + NoYet (Flash)
5. Basically yes (if all hardware needs are satisfied), maybe you'll need different layout-files for different screenresolutions, but thats easy
6. Hm are you talking of OverLays ?
7. 'YesNo', not officially but simply rotate the canvas (image-quality suffers a lot)

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Questions about Android

Postby Nuladion » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:04 pm

Thanks a lot for your quick answers, plusminus!
plusminus wrote:Hello Nuladion,

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes (Video) + NoYet (Flash)
5. Basically yes (if all hardware needs are satisfied), maybe you'll need different layout-files for different screenresolutions, but thats easy
6. Hm are you talking of OverLays ?
7. 'YesNo', not officially but simply rotate the canvas (image-quality suffers a lot)

Regards,
plusminus

1. Would it also be possible to take a picture with the phone's camera, and then upload it somewhere?
2. Could you tell me how this'd work?

As I posted here (post is at the time of writing still awaiting approval by the moderator, so it might not be up yet) I just remembered that Android uses themes for its layout. Would it be possible to use this theme system to change the appearance of the application on runtime, by creating custom themes and then using ie. setTheme(R.style.ThemeNew); ? (see this page)
I see that using this it is possible to change text sizes and text colours. Is it also possible to define x and y coordinates of an item on the screen? If so, we could possibly use the themes system to change the layout, or at least the colours of the interface.

3. That's a shame. Thanks though.
4. Any idea when Flash will be available to Android? And does WebKit not support Flash yet?
5. We'll be renting out our own Android phones, so the resolution of all the devices will be the same. Thanks!
6. Yes I was. That should be possible, right?
7. Hm, I'll have to try this out then, and see how much the quality suffers. Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Guido Kessels
Nuladion
Developer
Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems