Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006661d/anddev/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1781
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1007: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1007: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006661d/anddev/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1781

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4362: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4364: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4365: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4366: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
anddev.org • View topic - Problem with activity life cycle

Problem with activity life cycle

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Problem with activity life cycle

Postby sandis84 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:56 pm

What I am trying to do is the following:

I have an activity and a sub-activity that is started by the first activity. When the sub-activity is closed, I want it to check certain variables. Then it will create an object, which will be placed in a global static hashmap. When the first activity is resumed, it should get this object and do certain operations on it.

What I have done is that I have placed the code of the sub-activity in "onStop()", and the code in the activity in "onResume()". However, I have noticed that onResume in the first activity runs before onStop in the sub-activity. So how should I do? I cant place the sub-activities code in onPause, becuase then it would be executed if for example the phone goes into waiting mode/locked mode or whatever it is called.
sandis84
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby wiederke » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi,

I sugget storing data which is used by more than one Activity in the Application object. Checkout the example in this thread: http://www.anddev.org/constant_communic ... t7956.html

bye

torsten
wiederke
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby sandis84 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks man, but it still does not solve my problem. I need something to be done when the sub-activity exits, and continued med the first activity resumes. However, these overlap, which is making things difficult for me.
sandis84
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Oleg » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:27 am

Hi. I don't exactly understood your problem. But I think you need to use

Intent intent = new Intent(SubActivity.ths, FirsActivity.class);
Bundle b = new Bundle();
b.putInt("key","value");
intent.addFlags(Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TOP);
onNewIntent(intent);
startActivity(intent);
finish();

In FirstActivity on onResume method get this "key".
Also if need in Manifest.xml file for FirstActivity and this android:noHistory="true" android:launchMode="singleTask"
Oleg
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Emmanuel7 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:02 am

I think the proper way to do this is to launch the second activity with the startActivityForResult method.
When the second activity has finished its job; it can create a bundle, put the result inside, put the bundle in a new intent, and call setresult with this intent.
Last step : in the first activity, OnActivityResult will be called, and you can get your result !

Hope it helps,
Emmanuel7
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby sandis84 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:53 am

Emmanuel7 wrote:I think the proper way to do this is to launch the second activity with the startActivityForResult method.
When the second activity has finished its job; it can create a bundle, put the result inside, put the bundle in a new intent, and call setresult with this intent.
Last step : in the first activity, OnActivityResult will be called, and you can get your result !

Hope it helps,

Thanks. I had actually forgotten about this thread as some refactoring of my code made the problem disappear. But this should work, I have used the technique in other situations. So others having the same problem should try this =)
sandis84
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems