Performance tuning - black screen at startup

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Performance tuning - black screen at startup

Postby Aseriesofsmallprojects » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:30 am

I'm trying to chase down anything that might leave the screen blank immediately after the user starts the app, partly because at least one review complained that this is *all* my app did. I assume that was caused by something in the loading sequence getting hung up.

I have moved some download code into a thread, so that the start-up can complete without it. I can still do some performance tuning by finding other things to shorten out of onCreate, and will continue working on that.

Does anyone have any good advice on best practices or common gotchas in this area? My current suspect for the highest risk is the ad banner code - I currently am testing two banners on one page from different networks. I think I need to write some code to dynamically ad the adds rather than put them in the layout. That's a big sub-project though, as I want to build my own ad mediator.

Alternately, does anyone have an amount of time that they would consider "normal" for an app to take beyond which they wouldn't worry about optimizing?

Thanks
www.ProjectJourneyman.com - Android development and app marketing
twitter.com/PrjJourneyman Twitter feed
Android Developer Tutorial A growing tutorial for Android Devs
The Android Income Series Books on income topics for Android developers
Aseriesofsmallprojects
Developer
Developer

Re: Performance tuning - black screen at startup

Postby strider2023 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:46 am

If some downloading is involved I suggest putting it into a ProgressDialog...
strider2023
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems