Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006661d/anddev/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1781
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1007: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1007: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006661d/anddev/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1781

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4362: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4364: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4365: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4366: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
anddev.org • View topic - Passing text of an EditText

Passing text of an EditText

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Passing text of an EditText

Postby erbedo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi
I have two activities. The first simply displays a textView, and editText and a Button. What I want to do is, when a user click the button, I'd to start the second activity, passing the text typed in the EditText box.

What I've done is the following:
this is the first activity
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  1.         protected void onCreate(Bundle icicle) {
  3.                 // TODO Auto-generated method stub
  5.                 super.onCreate(icicle);
  9.                 this.setContentView(R.layout.selection);
  13.                 Button btn = (Button)this.findViewById(R.id.selectionOk);
  15.                 btn.setOnClickListener(new OnClickListener(){
  19.                         public void onClick(View arg0) {
  21.                                 // TODO Auto-generated method stub
  23.                                 Intent myIntent = new Intent();
  25.                                 myIntent.setAction("com.google.android.tvsportfinder.DO_SEARCH");
  29.                                 startActivity(myIntent);
  31.                         }              
  33.                 });    
  35.         }
Parsed in 0.011 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

Before startActivity, I need to pass the data, but
  1. myIntent.setData()
Parsed in 0.010 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4
picks only a ContentURI, not simple text. So, this is the first question: how to pass a simlpe string via an Intent?

Secondly, the handler of the Intent is my other activity. In the AndroidManifest.xml I've wrote:
Using xml Syntax Highlighting
  1.         <activity android:name="SecondActivity">
  3.                         <intent-filter>
  5.                                 <action android:name="com.google.android.myapp.DO_SEARCH"/>
  7.                         </intent-filter>
  9.                 </activity>
Parsed in 0.000 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

but when I click the button on the first activity, I got that there's no activity that can handle this action. So, how to make my second activity able to receive such Intent?

Thank you
Proudly supporting Android :)
erbedo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby certron » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:58 am

While I don't have all the answers, I believe it should be possible to pass information between Intents through the use of the bundle / extras functionality.

I would recommend going through the Notepad tutorials that Google provides, even if it is just to see how a whole application is broken into pieces. The bundle feature that I am talking about is covered in the second version (and then removed as the project is improved in the third version): http://code.google.com/android/intro/tutorial-ex2.html

Good luck on your project! This sounds very much like something I will be doing soon, actually, where I am passing back the text entered to another part of the application.
certron
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby erbedo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:28 am

Hi
I solved that adding a String to the Intent. On the receiver side, I simply used
  1. getIntent().getString("pattern");
Parsed in 0.010 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

Thank you
Proudly supporting Android :)
erbedo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems