Parsing data from a website, then displaying it

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Parsing data from a website, then displaying it

Postby DavidH » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:01 am

Ahoy ahoy! I have a little problem I've been throwing myself at for the last little while, and if anyone could point me in the right direction (or even give me a few snippets of code! Hugs will be mailed!), I'd be much obliged.

Basically, after a generally obfuscated effort, I have a string that represents a barcode. I want to take that string, throw it into the text box on this website, http://www.upcdatabase.com/itemform.asp, and "hit" look up UPC. I then want to return the text directly after "Description" as a string.

For example, when I use my app to scan a delicious bottle of water, I get "068274000218". When I look this up, it shows "Nestle Pure Life Bottled Spring Water", which I want returned.

I then send this string to a database on my server (which I've already coded), and also populate some sort of listview (which I haven't coded).

That being said, is using a listview even a good idea? I don't need to be able to click these or do any action with them, just see them. I just need it to be variable length. And I'm having trouble getting listviews to work..

Cheers!
DavidH
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Parsing data from a website, then displaying it

Postby nicholas.hauschild » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:44 am

ListView should work just fine.

I imagine there exists a better service online which you can embed the UPC code into the URL where the response would be exactly what you need. You just need to find it! :)
nicholas.hauschild
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems