Open a link in the browser?

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Open a link in the browser?

Postby lostgame » Thu May 14, 2009 3:58 pm

Hey, I was wondering what's the call to send a URL to the Android browser and open the browser, hiding the application?

Thanks in advance!
lostgame
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Open a link in the browser?

Postby lostgame » Sun May 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Bump please? I really need some help. =/
lostgame
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby n5r11 » Sun May 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Here is how you would Start Email-Activity with Preset Data (via Intents)
It should be similar to do what you want to do..
n5r11
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby lostgame » Tue May 19, 2009 2:09 pm

n5r11 wrote:Here is how you would Start Email-Activity with Preset Data (via Intents)
It should be similar to do what you want to do..

But how do I modify this code to send a URL to the browser instead? And why can't there be any useful documentation for people who have no idea what they're doing for Android? I've been coding for 15 years and the documentation is just...not good, to use a nice word.
lostgame
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby n5r11 » Tue May 19, 2009 7:58 pm

Well, there isn't.. You should be able to do the rest on your own. I would like to help you more, but my knowledge end experience with android is very limited. As you see, the community isn't that helping either :) at least concerning my problem.

I would probably read more about Intent class, and android.content.Intent.WHAT_EVER.

I think there is an API Demos example that might help you. Check out API Demos/View/Web View or something like that. You need to download sdk 1.1 and check out samples/ApiDemos project. You should somehow find an onClick() for API Demos/Views/Web View - and that's not going to be easy.

If you find an answer to your problem, consider posting it here, along with what you've learned :)

Cheers
n5r11
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby lostgame » Wed May 20, 2009 3:08 pm

Yeah...I thought this community was kind of bad...is there a better android forum or is this really as good as it gets? It seems like the noob:expert ratio is 1000:1 here. *sigh*

Nothing really came up with this intent stuff, and it's so hard to know which includes I need...goddamnit. >.<
lostgame
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems