Need help creating a simple search widget

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Need help creating a simple search widget

Postby dodgeboy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 pm

I wrote a simple website in php (with some perl scripts on the back-end) to search my company's price list. I am able to pass the search string to the page with a variable in the URL. I'd like to create a simple 4x1 widget (similar to the stock google widget) that would allow me to pass search strings directly to my site, and return the web page as the results. I've been poking around with this for the last few days, and am really struggling to find an example/tutorial on how to do it. I'm no programmer, but I can hack together code examples and modify them to my needs. I've done quite a bit of perl and web development in the past, but I've never messed with Java or C, so I'm really lost here.

Can anyone point me to a code example for a widget similar to the google search widget? Literally all it has to have is a text box and a "go" button that will submit the search result in a particular URL format.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry for just dumping this out here. I know it seems like I'm taking the lazy way out, but I can't believe how much I'm struggling with what seems like it should be a very simple stack of code.

Dave

(edit): I should also mention that I have the SDK/Eclipse, etc. setup and running. My issue is with the code itself...
dodgeboy
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to Other Coding-Problems