Monochrome Display?

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Monochrome Display?

Postby SixDegrees » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:18 pm

I do a bit of amateur astronomy when I have time, and a smartphone is a nice accessory to have along. The display, however, does not play well with night vision. Apps designed for this purpose often have all-red, monochrome displays to counter this problem, but switching back to another app can wipe that out in an instant.

Is there some way to fiddle with the OS so it always converts the device's display to a monochrome setting, regardless of what any given app is trying to paint? Allowing 0-255 red, with both the green and blue components clamped to zero is what I'm after, although allowing for further adjustment might be helpful as well, if any such thing is possible.
SixDegrees
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Monochrome Display?

Postby Phyll » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:54 am

Hi SixDegrees,

If there was a capability to control the hardware at that level, I think your only hope would be to modify the ROM and get it done that way. I don't think there is any way at the SDK level to do that. You might want to think about some kind of red filter for the screen, there might be something in that.

Phyll
Phyll
Master Developer
Master Developer

Re: Monochrome Display?

Postby Marbert » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:15 pm

If your phone's rooted, this might be hekpful: https://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.cf3d
Marbert
Developer
Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems