Market intent choices for alternative markets

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Market intent choices for alternative markets

Postby Aseriesofsmallprojects » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:36 am

Has anyone tried to create an way to dynamically handle the multiple app markets that you can send a user to? It's easy to embed an intent to send users to your app on Google's app market, but what if you release the same app on the Google market, the Amazon app market, SlideMe, GetJar, etc? I would prefer to not have to recompile a different .apk hard coded for each market. However, it might not do too much good to direct someone who downloaded from SlideMe to the Google market, particularly if they can't buy paid apps from Google in their country. Amazon initially rejected my app because it didn't link back to the Amazon market, and I expect that they'll get stricter about that once they have launched their market.

Should I just show a selector to the user, or is there some clever way to determine the best market to send to?
www.ProjectJourneyman.com - Android development and app marketing
twitter.com/PrjJourneyman Twitter feed
Android Developer Tutorial A growing tutorial for Android Devs
The Android Income Series Books on income topics for Android developers
Aseriesofsmallprojects
Developer
Developer

Re: Market intent choices for alternative markets

Postby blundell » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:44 pm

Just make it a choice selector first time. Then save this in the preferences for them to click from then on?

Why do you need to send people back to the market multiple times anyway?

I would just send them to the Android market, I realise your issue is for countries that can't buy paid apps from android market but this percentage is getting less and less.
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby Aseriesofsmallprojects » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:03 am

Yes, the percentage is shrinking and this might not be worth too much time. The upcoming Amazon market, however, might make this issue worth looking into.

The issue isn't really the second time they visit - I was wondering if anyone tried to hide the issue from the user by automatically detecting/redirecting the market intent the first time the user clicks through. The main purpose of sending to the market is to make it easy to find either a paid version or just the other apps I have done.

I'm leaning towards having a manual selector, possibly only populated with selections for app stores installed on the device.
Aseriesofsmallprojects
Developer
Developer

Postby Aseriesofsmallprojects » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 am

Once again posting to my own question, in case anyone else is looking for this...

I decided that it works much better to create a hard-coded version for each important market (e.g. Google, Amazon, Nook, Samsung, etc.) since there are more changes than just the linking.

To handle the market intents, though, I actually wrote (and open sourced) a library to simplify the linking issue for all of these markets:
https://github.com/TimMackenzie/AndroidMarketManager
Aseriesofsmallprojects
Developer
Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems