Looking for some feedback on my (free) game

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Looking for some feedback on my (free) game

Postby nkonstas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:43 am

Hello,

My app is on the Android Market and I'm a bit puzzled by some reviews where people claim that they cannot aim at all. I suspect that my game loop may be problematic or maybe reviewers are just talking nonsense.

I would be grateful if you can download and try the game.

If it doesn't work for you please do let me know so I can find and fix the problem.

Market link is market://details?id=com.compumasterltd.poolrebellite

Pool Rebel is billiards simulation game. The Android version offers the following features:

- One Pocket and 14.1 Continuous pool games.
- OpenFeint Enabled
- Intuitive interface that allows control of every aspect of a shot
- Dynamic player hints help you avoid common mistakes during gameplay
- Save & Load a game at any stage. Automatically resume interrupted games
- Full game history with unlimited undo/redo functionality
- Adjustable difficulty levels (Full version offers fully customizable difficulty leves)

Thank you in advance,
Nikos.
nkonstas
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Looking for some feedback on my (free) game

Postby raj_J2ME » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:57 pm

What about the feedback from your QA team,
We will get the time then surely we will test the same,
Thanks with Regards,
Raj - The Kernel
raj_J2ME
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby nkonstas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi Raj,

QA team? :) Yes, I have a few friends with android devices that provide feedback but none of them experiences any problems. Most of the testing I do myself on a cheapo T-Mobile Mini Pulse.

I don't expect ppl here to test my game - I was rather hopping for a quick run and something like 'on my xyz phone your game lags'. You see on the reviews on Market Place you don't even know what the hardware is.

Cheers,
Nikos.
nkonstas
Freshman
Freshman

Postby raj_J2ME » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Yeah, insights from the other people around helps you to improve the quality of products and provide the user experience about the bugs if any in the app.

Let us wait for the people around here, to provide the feedback about the issues, the people are talking about. I will also have a look over this asap. I have a quick suggestion to cross check that whether the uploaded app is same which you tested and verified. Mistakenly you did not deliver the older version of the app.
Thanks with Regards,
Raj - The Kernel
raj_J2ME
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby nkonstas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:16 pm

Thank you Raj.

Yes I have uploaded the right version. This is an issue that always existed (or at least reported by some users).

They typically report something like 'impossible to aim' which leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the user input.

I suspect that maybe the structure of my game loop leads to I/O requests from the touch screen not being serviced as frequently as they should be on some devices.

But unless I have some reliable info I don't want to take the risk of changing things and potentially creating problems for existing users.

Regards,
Nikos.
nkonstas
Freshman
Freshman

Postby raj_J2ME » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:23 pm

That is correct..:)

One more idea, the web page where the users had reviewed the app, you can ask for the device details and check the same if we can make that confirmed on the same devices. Testing the same app on the some other devices may also help...
Thanks with Regards,
Raj - The Kernel
raj_J2ME
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby nkonstas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:52 pm

The reviews are on the Market Place and I have tried to ask users that experience problems to contact me (I added that to the product description) but nobody did.

I don't have access to many Android devices hence my message here.

Thank you for your suggestions,
Nikos.
nkonstas
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Nomad0404 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Downloading it on to my Defy - I'll test it on the way home from work and let you know how I get on tonight.
Nomad0404
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby nkonstas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:21 pm

@Nomad0404 - Thank you.
nkonstas
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Nomad0404 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:16 pm

So two things come to mind,

Yes aiming does seem to 'stick' every so often but it's also reallyl really counter intuitive. Even the tutorial highlights this.

To aim at the bottom left pocket you drag from the left side of the screen to the right.....that makes NO sense

Also you have a serious graphic issue with games that are halted when the 'home' key is pressed and then restarted from the app list.

It looks like only those tiles where there are balls or cues are drawn - anything else is only uncovered when you move the 'cross-hair' over the screen.

Phil
Nomad0404
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby nkonstas » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi Phil,

thanks for doing this.

what exactly do you mean by 'stick'? You mean it's not smooth as in the 'aim line' is not following your finger?

There is a reason for aiming in this way: if you were to aim in the forward direction your finger tends to cover the target ball quite frequently. I agree it does take a bit of getting used to.

Just to clarify: you start a game -> hit the home key -> back to the app list -> launch again => black tiles.

I haven't seen that on any of the devices. It's certainly a bit of a mystery... I will need to think about it.
Just to explain: the game uses a tile-based rendering engine. On every frame only the 'dirty' tiles are drawn while a bitmap is used to 'cache' the full frame. Somehow that bitmap is cleared (set to black) on a resume on your device. It will be hard to fix if I cannot reproduce it..:/

Thank you very much again,
Nikos.
nkonstas
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Other Coding-Problems