Intercepting Other App Events

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Intercepting Other App Events

Postby octega » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:14 am

Hi all,

I've been looking over the forums but I am not sure if this is able to be done without rooting the phone.

Is it possible to listen or intercept events that are fired from another App, let say a game or browser. Such as multi-touch, the URLs (so that we can differentiate if the user is selecting a link on a page or click from the bookmarks, etc), etc.

So far, we have been using Broadcastreceivers, Accessibilityservice, services and polling methods to capture most events and data from content providers. But we are drawing a blank on how to intercept App events from another App.

Anybody here would be kind enough to advised us or point us in the right direction?

(BTW, we have elicit permissions from our user group in a control study, we are not gathering the data for illegal purposes.)

Cheers!

Will
octega
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Intercepting Other App Events

Postby software2 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:43 am

If this other app is your own app, you can make such information available to your other apps via a content provider. However, my understanding is that this is not possible with other apps that are not yours. This is a security measure to prevent malicious applications from data mining.
software2
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems