Improving the Donut VoiceDialer

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Improving the Donut VoiceDialer

Postby Zoide » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:13 am

(Moderators: If this is not the right sub-forum please feel free to move the thread. Thanks)

Hi,

The Donut VoiceDialer is far from ideal for in-car use because it requires users to confirm their selection by tapping on the screen. My idea is to enhance it so that it can be hands-free from start to finish.

I was looking at VoiceDialerActivity.java and the most interesting part is the function onRecognitionSuccess(), which starts at line 383:

/**
* Called by the {@link RecognizerEngine} when is succeeds. If there is
* only one item, then the Intent is dispatched immediately.
* If there are more, then an AlertDialog is displayed and the user is
* prompted to select.
* @param intents a list of Intents corresponding to the sentences.
*/
public void onRecognitionSuccess(final Intent[] intents)

We could modify it so that if there is more than one item, it reads the items out loud and then does another recognition cycle among those items.

Once the user's voice matches a single item, we can execute this pre-existing code (which is commented out for some reason):

// only one item, so just launch
/*
if (intents.length == 1 && mVoiceDialerTester == null)
{
// start the Intent
startActivityHelp(intents[0]);
finish();
return;
}
*/

What do you think?

For now, my main problem is that I have never developed for Android and my default compilation of the Donut branch does not generate a VoiceDialer.apk file in /mydroid/out/target/product/generic/system/app/, where I had expected it to be.

When I compile, I get the following:

target R.java/Manifest.java: VoiceDialer (out/target/common/obj/APPS/VoiceDialer_intermediates/src/R.stamp)
target Java: VoiceDialer (out/target/common/obj/APPS/VoiceDialer_intermediates/classes)
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
Note: packages/apps/VoiceDialer/src/com/android/voicedialer/RecognizerEngine.java uses unchecked or unsafe operations.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.

After that Dex and Package don't do anything with the VoiceDialer app and the compilation goes on to other packages.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Zoide
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Other Coding-Problems