HOW to get "Battery usage" of a Specific apps ??

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

HOW to get "Battery usage" of a Specific apps ??

Postby Sagace » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi everybody,

I have a simple application getting GPS positions, Live: e.g. Coordinates change when the phone moves.
--->>> I want to automatically get :
    1- Battery usage by GPS application
    2- time needed to connect to Satellite ??
On devPhone, 'Battery usage' infos are in: Settings > About Phone > Battery use

Thank you all.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S.Hawking
Sagace
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ExxKA » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Why don't you just test it yourself on a real phone? You could just read the battery charge regularly, and save the results to a database?

And you can easily time the GPS satellite connection.
ExxKA
Developer
Developer

Postby Sagace » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:30 pm

ExxKA wrote:Why don't you just test it yourself on a real phone? You could just read the battery charge regularly, and save the results to a database?

And you can easily time the GPS satellite connection.

Because I want the "battery use" of the GPS application only, not all the rest (Display, system, Os, Wifi,core apps, dialer, madiaserver .. )
And I want it live, second by second, so it must be an application.

It's a project in my studies :)
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" S.Hawking
Sagace
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ExxKA » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:27 pm

I can't imagine how that is possible. Why should the system register power usage of individual components? :) I simply don't think Android does this.
ExxKA
Developer
Developer

Postby Pandoro » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:46 pm

I'd almost say that is physically impossible, but my idea would be to determin every part on it's own. Try to consume 50% of a full battery just by doing nothing on the phone and then see how much quicker it drains if you are connecting to some GPS satellite all the time. That way you could.... estimate how much power it uses.

But I mean just think about it? How could a device like android seriously measure how much power one application uses? I doubt you can do more than an estimation, but well I'm not an expert if you really manage to do it I would be interested to see how :)

Good luck!
Pandoro
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Sagace » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:36 pm

ExxKA wrote:I can't imagine how that is possible. Why should the system register power usage of individual components? :) I simply don't think Android does this.

Pandoro wrote:I'd almost say that is physically impossible, but my idea would be to determin every part on it's own. Try to consume 50% of a full battery just by doing nothing on the phone and then see how much quicker it drains if you are connecting to some GPS satellite all the time. That way you could.... estimate how much power it uses.

But I mean just think about it? How could a device like android seriously measure how much power one application uses? I doubt you can do more than an estimation, but well I'm not an expert if you really manage to do it I would be interested to see how :)
Good luck!

But Android does it ! :!:

I work on the Android Dev Phone 1,
See this : Techdelicious, "Battery Usage Indicator" paragraph ;)
Sagace
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Other Coding-Problems