help please compiling kernel with initramfs support

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

help please compiling kernel with initramfs support

Postby ashy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi my name is ashy and I need some help regarding building a kernel from source for an ongoing project called H1droid here: h**p://samsungi8320.freeforums.org/portal.php

Basically I am just getting into this kind of stuff and at best Iam a hacker and a modder not a developer, so Linux is pretty new to me. However I learn fast and have a good grasp on what's what.
I am trying to build the Kernel for this project from this source h**p://samsungi8320.freeforums.org/onenand-mtd-multiboot-recovery-cm7-2rc1-t765.html

These sources were created originally by R3D4 who doesn't come to our fourms any more, so I am here to ask for help.

In a nut shell I am trying to build the kernel from R3D4's sources. I have Ubuntu, the tool chains, cloned the source and have managed to build the kernel. The problem is that the kernel requires to be in uImage format with built in ramdisk, however for the life of me I can't figure out how to create the valid boot.img. I have appended the command uImage to the end of the make command when compiling and this does create a uImage.
I have pulled the config file from the device to use as the default .config, and haven't changed anything in menuconfig when compiling.
I have tried flashing the resulting image to the device, but it doesn't boot at all. It seems that there is no ramdisk to boot a rootfs.
I notice in .config it expects an initramfs to be in a specified directory, however my problem is I have no idea how to create the initramfs to build into the kernel when compiling

This is probably something easy, but I have searched and searched and can't figure it out, so I am asking here for someone who has the knowledge if they can guide me in the right direction as to how to build the initramfs into the kernel and then compile it as a boot.img to flash via recovery.

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks, ashy
ashy
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to Other Coding-Problems