Getting an Inputstream for data managed by a ContentProvider

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Getting an Inputstream for data managed by a ContentProvider

Postby ronald » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:44 pm

I'm quite new to Android and am puzzled about the design of a particular functionality I need. To simplify things I made a (fictive) simple use case (which is not exactly what I need but easier to explain).

Step 1: Download a ZIP file with audio clips.

Problem 1: How to store this file?
Storing the ZIP file is fairly simple with the File storage functionality.
Alternatively I could store the ZIP file extracted but since you can not make directories in the file storage this will give issues when another ZIP file is downloaded containing a file with the same name as in a previously downloaded ZIP file.
Storing in the database doesn't seem to be easy either as there is no way to store raw data (a byte[]).

=> Store as a ZIP file seems the "best" solution.

Step 2: Display a list of audio files and play them
Displaying the list is no issue using the ZIPFile class. But then it seems the MediaPlayer only accepts a ContentURI to play. No worries yet, I can implement a ContentProvider to resolve a URI. But to provide raw data the ContentResolver is used, reading the _data field of the URI and opening a file with the name specified in the _data field (see ... iders.html - Creating a Content Provider, step 5) so I would still need the file to be accessable directly rather then in the ZIP file.

Isn't there a way for me to resolve a URI and return an InputStream? I doesn't make sense to me to still go via normal file access.

I am aware of using an emulated SD card, but would like to avoid this extra requirement if possible.

Hope this is clear and thanks already,

Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to Other Coding-Problems