Fixing "debug certificate" for non-developer

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Fixing "debug certificate" for non-developer

Postby bbooze » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:15 am

I hired an overseas developer to design an android app for me. When trying to upload the apk file to market I got the
Market does not accept apks signed with the debug certificate. Create a new certificate that is valid for at least 50 years.
Market requires that the certificate used to sign the apk be valid until at least October 22, 2033. Create a new certificate.

error. I'm am unfortunately not in contact any longer with the original developer, so I can't work with them to resolve this. My question: Can someone like myself who isn't actually familiar with app design correct the dilemma? Or should I just hire a new developer to do it?

Thanks.
bbooze
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Fixing "debug certificate" for non-developer

Postby Mardaneus » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:35 am

You should be able to do this yourself. See http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/app-signing.html#releasemode for more information.

PS: I hope you have the source code if you are no longer in contact with the developer (not needed for signing though)
Mardaneus
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby bbooze » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:25 am

I figured out how to make my private key (keystore), but I'm having trouble actually merging it with the apk file. According to the Developer guide I need to use Eclipse to do so. I installed Eclipse, and the ADT plugin but now I hit a wall. Does anyone know what the next step should be? The guide implies that it should be easy to add my apk file to the "Package Explorer" and then do an export, but I'm not sure how to do that.
bbooze
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jonbonazza » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:51 am

You NEED the source in order to sign the package. A package is signed BEFORE it is compiled. Whoever developed your application did, indeed, sign the app, however he did so with the default debug keystore. You can easily sideload an app that uses the debug keystore, but the android market will not accept it. I am not sure if third party markets, such as app brain, require a non-debug keystore or not. Either way, I highly suggest that you get i contact with the developer and either (a) have him resign the package with a proper key or (b) get the source from him/her and do it yourself.
jonbonazza
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems