Edit MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 videos to Final Cut Pro 7/X, FCE on Mac
Summary:If you are looking for the best way to transcode MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 videos to ProRes MOV for FCP 7/X and FCE, you can follow this post, it has offered best solutions for editing MPEG videos on Mac in Final Cut Pro 7/X, Final Cut Express.
The following are two problems when some users import MPEG-1/MPEG-2 to Final Cut:
"I am trying to import MPEG-2 files into Final Cut Pro X. I have the raw files from a Sony Handicam HDR-SR5 as well as raw files from an Sony Handicam MDR-CX560. These files were recorded as MPEG-2 files and copied from the camera hard drives (entire folders were copied containind the MPEG-2 fies) to a local hard drive on my computer. Final Cut Pro X does not recognize the files and will not import them. I have tried to use Compressor to conver the fies. I am using the very latest version that touts being able to export to Final Cut X format. I don't see that option anywhere in the settings."
Is there a way to get MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 files into Final Cut Pro X without having to convert them?
Don't try to work with (highly compressed) MPEG 2 in FCP X. Use software to convert to ProRes 422 first, it's best codec for final cut pro or final cut express. Life will be much easier for you if you do. ProRes 422 is roughly between 5 and 8 times bigger than native camera footage - sometimes as much as 10 times, I believe, but it's well worth it for editing, effects and playback quality. The time required depends largely on your processor power but 30 mins sounds realistic.
Software you need:
Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac
This software can convert MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 to Apple ProRes 422 codec for Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Pro 7, Final Cut Pro X or Final Cut Expr editing without rendering.
Step by step guide:
1. Download and install the best MPEG1/MPEG2 to ProRes Converter and launch it to add your videos to it.
2. Choose output format. Click on the “Format”> Final Cut Pro, Apple PreRes 422(HQ), Apple PreRes 422, Apple ProRes 422(LT), etc are all the proper choice for you.
3. Click "Settings" to adjust the parameters as you want, like Video Codec, bit rate, frame rate, Audio codec, sample rate, bit rate, channels. Set the video frame rate as 30fps, video size as 1920*1080 will be better.
4. Click Convert button to start MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 to Final Cut friendly Apple ProRes 422 for native editing on Mac OS X.
5. When the conversion ends, you can run the Final Cut Pro and click File --> Import --> Files to import the resulted MOV files and edit them in FCP easily, you can follow this import video to fcp guide.
From the steps above, I think you got the point to convert and import MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 files to Apple ProRes 422 for Final Cut editing, please have a try, this software will solve you MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 importing and editing problems, and then you can import and use your MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 in Final Cut Pro 7, Final Cut Pro X or Final Cut Express on Mac without any problems.
Now you can get DVD Creator which can help you easily burn video to DVD disc/ISO files.
Buy One Get Another Free?! Yes, just join Pavtube's Special Offers to get the promotion.
PS. If you have any problem, pls contact with firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information. You also can leave a message on Pavtube Community or Pavtube Facebook, we will answer your questions as soon as possilble.
Learn more Cameras/Camcorders related tutorial, pls view our FCP Column, etc. on http://www.pavtube.com/hot-topics/