Drop down list and Multicolumn list box?

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Drop down list and Multicolumn list box?

Postby heikki » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:15 am

I just released my first Android application, Caltroid, which also happened to be my first Java program. As you could expect, I faced numerous issues, but there are two that are most pressing on my mind:
  • No drop down list
  • No multicolumn list box
As a workaround I used Spinner instead of the drop down, but this is awkward because you are forced to go through each and every item before reaching your selection. There are methods that seem to imply I could force a drop down list to appear from a Spinner, but I have been unable to figure this out. Anyone know of a way to do drop down lists with Android? (I guess this could be simulated by popping up a dialog with list, but...)

As for the missing multicolumn list, I used a GridView instead, but unfortunately GridView does not let me have columns of different sizes, not does it have column headers. I guess what I am hoping for is for someone to point me to a resource that shows how to do this with Android.

My little app is open source, license under the Apache 2.0 license. I'd really appreciate any comments on the code (keeping in mind this is my first Java prog). The source download link (available via Subversion) is in the original blog post announcement.
heikki
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:57 pm

Hello heikki,

The AndroidSDK contains a list of available widgets:
http://code.google.com/android/referenc ... llery.html

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin