Don't know where to start lol

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Don't know where to start lol

Postby blindfoldsaside » Mon May 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Hey,

I've been reading through material and tutorials for a while now but they don't really seem to be relevant to what I'm looking for. I've sorted out a menu system that went great but now I'm onto the core working part of the game that I'm making I have no idea where to start at all or even where to go once I've started.

Basically the format is a 2D point and click adventure style game like Sam & Max, Monkey Island and Machinarium but I've no idea where to start with the coding to make the game work.

Any help I would be most grateful for,

Many thanks!!!
blindfoldsaside
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Don't know where to start lol

Postby nicholas.hauschild » Mon May 31, 2010 10:47 pm

You will be using the touchscreen/keys as inputs, correct? Well, your game will be event driven (like most games :D ). So you would create an Activity/View for the 'game' portion of the game. And with those two portions, you can register eventListeners which will be used to implement your input logic. You will also want to use the lifetime callbacks of the activity to initialize and cleanup objects represented in the game.

If this is a 3D game, or even a complex 2D game, you probably want to use a SurfaceView object with OpenGL ES.

Obviously this isn't very in depth, but it should be a good start, to implement your inputs via eventListeners.

Good Luck!
-Nick
nicholas.hauschild
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems