Can we Synchoronize Android mobile Contacts to Nokia

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Can we Synchoronize Android mobile Contacts to Nokia

Postby rakesh_mehta » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:54 am

Hello friends..

My question is can we synchronize Android Mobile's Contacts to Nokia Mobile...

It is possible???

Reply...

Thanks in Advance :)
Rakesh
rakesh_mehta
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:02 pm

Sure you can, yet you'd have to write your own syncing app...
MrSnowflake

Postby rakesh_mehta » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:20 am

Ok, Thanks :)
Rakesh
rakesh_mehta
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby alpesh_harsoda » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:47 am

but is it compitible with both os nokia and android?
i dont think so.................
alpesh_harsoda
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby rakesh_mehta » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:48 am

ok lets see..... :)
Rakesh
rakesh_mehta
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:49 am

alpesh_harsoda wrote:but is it compitible with both os nokia and android?
Yes it is, as long as you handle your data on the pc so the Nokia software can handle it.
MrSnowflake

Postby szabi » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:34 am

alpesh_harsoda wrote:but is it compitible with both os nokia and android?

It's not compatible, but you can convert the data from one to the other.
Maybe this will help you:
link
szabi
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:10 am

Ofcourse it's compatible, as long as you make it compatible. We are writing such a synchronizer ourselfs, so why can't we make it work.
MrSnowflake

Postby szabi » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:16 am

MrSnowflake wrote:Ofcourse it's compatible, as long as you make it compatible. We are writing such a synchronizer ourselfs, so why can't we make it work.

What I meant is that it's not directly compatible, that is, you can't just take the one exported file and import it into the other. In my book, compatible means that you can just "plug" it in and it will work.
But you know what I mean...
Szabolcs Szekely
Halcyon Mobile
szabi
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:35 am

szabi wrote:
MrSnowflake wrote:Ofcourse it's compatible, as long as you make it compatible. We are writing such a synchronizer ourselfs, so why can't we make it work.

What I meant is that it's not directly compatible, that is, you can't just take the one exported file and import it into the other. In my book, compatible means that you can just "plug" it in and it will work.
Sure you can, as long as you export it the right way. You have to export it manually, so you would be an ass if you didn't export it the right way :).
MrSnowflake

Postby szabi » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

MrSnowflake wrote:
szabi wrote:

Sure you can, as long as you export it the right way. You have to export it manually, so you would be an ass if you didn't export it the right way :).

Well, I guess I'm an ass then.
You could enlighten us, mortals, with the correct way to do it at least.

As far as I saw it, there were two easy ways to do it:
- export it to vcf and import to google - I had a couple of problems with this: there's a separate vcf for each contact, so you would have to export a lot of vcfs manually; after that you would have to write an app to read all these and add them to google (and hope it converts the incompatible fields right)
- export to a comma separated file from pc suite (all the contacts in the same file), convert the file (manually or with an app) into the format Google expects and import it into GMail...
Szabolcs Szekely
Halcyon Mobile
szabi
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:46 pm

szabi wrote:
MrSnowflake wrote:
szabi wrote:

- export to a comma separated file from pc suite (all the contacts in the same file), convert the file (manually or with an app) into the format Google expects and import it into GMail...
Take this approach. Why would you export to CSV as you have to convert it manually to a format Google acepts? If you have to convert it manually, you can export it to that format instead of CVS. That's what I'm saying. You should export a format which either Google understands, or make your import app so, it accepts the format exported by the Nokia software.If you have to do a manual conversion, you can do it autmatically with one step less. That's what I'm saying.

BTW: I don't mean you're an ass, I just don't know the correct word to use, it should have been a more funny word :).
MrSnowflake

Postby szabi » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:57 pm

MrSnowflake wrote:... or make your import app so, it accepts the format exported by the Nokia software.If you have to do a manual conversion, you can do it autmatically with one step less. That's what I'm saying.

Actually, that's what it does (the only thing that it does). It takes the Nokia format and spits out a Google format (automatically - with the push of a button). What I could still do, is to upload the converted contacts directly to Google - of course this would mean querying the user for his/her username and password, but it would be definitely cooler.

MrSnowflake wrote:BTW: I don't mean you're an ass, I just don't know the correct word to use, it should have been a more funny word :).

It was funny :)
Szabolcs Szekely
Halcyon Mobile
szabi
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby avolovoy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:58 pm

I would rephrase the task. Leave alone android.The task is- how to sync nokia contacts with google mail contacts.
You can for example make calendar sync using google cal sync utility and have a calendar setup on the local PC via Windows calendar or Outlook.
Provided that google have contact sync for blackberry , you need to wait for one for Nokia, or do it yourself.
Alexey Volovoy
Bytesharp.NET
avolovoy
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby alpesh_harsoda » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:36 am

hi avolovoy,
no no u r going wrong track...the question is how to synchronize android mobile's contact to nokia mobile or vice versa.....
and u said that leave the android a side....but how its possible?
Regards,
Alpesh Patel,
Logistic Infotech
http://www.logisticinfotech.com
alpesh_harsoda
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Next

Return to Other Coding-Problems