Can't get application to install on phone

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Can't get application to install on phone

Postby RueTheDay » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:00 pm

My application is running fine in the emulator.

I exported it from Eclipse per the directions. Created a keystore and signed it with jarsigner. This is a release key not the debug key; I verified that. Uploaded to my website and was able to download from there. However, upon installation, I get a prompt saying it will install over the existing application (odd since I just wrote this app and there can't be any existing application), I accept that and get "Installation Unsuccessful". I Googled for the problem and found there is an issue with MIME types, however, I don't have access to add a MIME type to my hosts web server at the moment.

Ok, now I try to install it from ADB. I get the return code "INSTALL_FAILED_ALREADY_EXISTS". Then I run an install -r and get "INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_INCONSISTENT CERTIFICATES". Umm, WTF???? I've only signed it once, so how can this be? Then I issue an uninstall from ADB. Success. Ok, now I try to install one more time and get "Success". Great. But the application is nowhere to be found on the phone. No icon in Applications, nothing listed when I bring up Manage Applications.

Any ideas?
RueTheDay
Freshman
Freshman

Postby RueTheDay » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:19 pm

It seems like I can struggle with something for hours, but then the instant after I post a question, the solution comes to me automatically. LOL.

In case anyone else encounters the same problem:

I was accidentally installing the app to the emulator instead of my phone. I resolved it by: 1) close the emulator 2) issue an adb kill-server and then adb start-server from the command line. Then double check to make sure the device is attached by doing adb devices. After that ran adb install and it worked fine.
RueTheDay
Freshman
Freshman

Postby alpesh_harsoda » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Thnks for Writing the solution.
Regards,
Alpesh Patel,
Logistic Infotech
http://www.logisticinfotech.com
alpesh_harsoda
Senior Developer
Senior Developer