Bluetooth device

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Bluetooth device

Postby asledl » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:49 pm

Hi!
I'm currently developing and application which communicates with a bluetooth barcode scanner. As far as I know the Android 2.0 SDK connects and communicates through RFCOMM (I don't know much about bluetooth). Does this mean that my Android device must support RFCOMM communication? :oops:

I contacted HTC and asked what bluetooth communication the Hero supported, and they replied quickly (kudos HTC) and said that the only supported bluetooth function is "A2DP stereo headset".

Can you point me to a Android device (preferrably a phone) which can handle a bluetooth scanner? I would greatly appreciate it! :D

I was thinking of this scanner, which I believe communicates through RFCOMM:
http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/ ... 8-ER_US-EN

Sincerely
-Asle
asledl
Freshman
Freshman

Postby I_Artist » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Have you looked into one of the user created ROMs? I know that the Cyanogen ROM has a certain amount of bluetooth support. Maybe other ones have the support you need, or are able to add to their ROM...

Cheers!
The I_Artist

follow me on Twitter: @I_Artist
follow Android Development on Twitter: #androiddev

Show the world that you are an #androiddev, wear the badge http://www.twibbon.com/join/androiddev
I_Artist
Developer
Developer

Postby izu516 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:54 am

From what I can tell, your app (which you said would communicate through RFCOMM via Bluetooth), would require Android 2.0 to do that (and the 2.0 SDK). The HTC Hero currently runs on Android 1.5 and therefore wouldn't support such. I also doubt you could do this in the emulator and might suggest waiting for the Hero's 2.0 update (which HTC said is soon). Otherwise, you would need a Motorola DROID or you should check the Cyanogen ROMs.
Go anddev!
izu516
Developer
Developer

Postby asledl » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks for your replies. much appreciated! I'll take a look into the Cyanogen ROMs, and hope for the best :D
asledl
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Other Coding-Problems