Anyone familar with android.telephony.ServiceState methods?

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Anyone familar with android.telephony.ServiceState methods?

Postby jdr2000 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:24 pm

Does anyone know how well the android.telephony.ServiceState class methods work with various Android handsets? Specifically, I want to be able to setRoaming(), setStateOff(), or setStateOutOfService() to control when the phone actually "works" for the user. The intent is to have an app that can put the phone to sleep at times in order to send calls to voicemail or to another (call-forwarding) number that the use has defined.

So going to STATE_OUT_OF_SERVICE would allow "call forwarding on out-of-service" features of the cellular service provider to do their their thing.

I guess the question is: Do all handsets work when these methods, or are they optionally implemented (at a radio/hardware layer) with unpredictable results?

Thanks!
- John
jdr2000
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby Draffodx » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:04 pm

At this stage they would all be implemented across the majority of the handsets I would imagine, there doesn't seem to be much lock down from carriers or handset manufacturers on the Android API's, it would feel like going against what Android is about.

However that could change in the future, T-mobile for example are afraid of VOIP applications that will give free calls to users over WIFI and eat into there GSM revenue so I believe they try to block any VOIP applications on there devices as in the contract between them and there customers states VOIP calls break there terms of agreement.

But as is I believe the API's are all being implemented without any blocks from manufacturers
Draffodx
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems