Android customization

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Android customization

Postby ekatton » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Hello everybody.

I need some orientation on the following issue.

I want to modify the default behaviour of an Android system to be included in a specific tablet. I don't want the user to be able to install / uninstall apps from the Market. In fact I want to control what the user can do, just allowing him to work with the services I provide. I'm new at Android developing and I don't know if this is possible, and if it is, which could be a good solution. Some guidelines.

Thank you.
ekatton
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Android customization

Postby Phyll » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi ekatton,

I think the only way to do what you want to do reliably is to change the ROM in your device. Anything else could always break and you'd be back where you started. If you are not familiar with this approach, here is one example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CyanogenMod

of a ROM replacement. It would put you in a different sphere of interest too. I don't think there are too many around here that have tried much of that (I for one have not) and your plan kind of violates the usual "open use" of Android versus the "managed use" of some other mobile devices. In fact these mods are usually used to increase the users possibilities instead of reducing them.

Hope this helps. Maybe it will give you another avenue to explore.

Phyll
Phyll
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to Other Coding-Problems