Add option to default android UI menu?

Put your problem here if it does not fit any of the other categories.

Add option to default android UI menu?

Postby swain » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:51 am

Hello,

Ive been a long time lurker of this site. I have a question i have an idea for a pretty sweet app but, i don't know how i would go about executing the idea. So basically what im asking is it possible to add a menu option to the default android UI.

Do help further explain what i mean is like when you are attaching media to a text message on your android phone it gives you options on what you want it to be (image or video). What i need to do is add another option. How would i go about doing that? Ive been searching relentlessly to no avail

Thanks,

Swain
swain
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Add option to default android UI menu?

Postby Phyll » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi Swain,

I think the short answer would be, you can't do that.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you wish to add an item to one of the built-in apps that handles texts (in your example) and thereby add another feature. There is really no way to do that unless that capability to extend the menu was built into the activity in the first place. You might find out if this is possible from the author of the app.

But in this case, you could write your own SMS app that had this extra feature and would replace the default one.

There are a lot of good examples of this particular thing so that may not be too hard.

Hope this helps.

Phyll
Phyll
Master Developer
Master Developer

Re: Add option to default android UI menu?

Postby swain » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the info Phyll i really appreciate it!
swain
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Other Coding-Problems