Will Android ever succeed?

News, information, contests and special event announcements from members of the anddev.org community.

Will Android ever succeed?

Postby river » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:48 am

I expected a big splash from Android/G1. Using Google trends to track G1/GooglePhone/Android/GPhone and iPhone reveals that the G1 and Android are getting virtually no traction out in the real world, where companies make money, while iPhone explodes and Blackberry is not far behind. I decided to develop for Android rather than iPhone becuase it's open and not proprietary.

But it's looking like Android is not going to be a lucrative place to be, the way the market is reacting to the G1 and Android.

I'm thinking about switching to iPhone. Am I wrong? Anybody know some hard facts/numbers, or solid, verifiable information about future trends, developments, events, etc. that bear on this?

Thanks. Hope I'm wrong.
river is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
river
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:01 am

You are correct, but Android is here for the long run and not only phones. Also, iPhone sells well, very welll, yet Symbian sels a lot more! Android also only has one handset out and, well, it's fugly :). I'd say, give it some more time. I'm here because when I buy a phone, I want to be able to develop for it (when not selling apps) for free, I ain't gonna pay money for running my hoby projects.

* btw, this is not news :) *
MrSnowflake

Return to Open News