Sell your app or run ads in it?

News, information, contests and special event announcements from members of the anddev.org community.

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:50 pm

egyptian wrote:I can put admob ad links in my site through php (curl) rather than having to wait till the next update I push out for the game. I didn't think I could before, but now I see that I can.

For the record, if you enable Javascript in your webview, you can do it that way too. Of course, the ad network has to support javascript, and most mobile ad networks don't (doesn't look like admob does). The plus with curl is that the ads show up at the same time as the content, the plus with javascript is that the content doesn't have to wait for the ads to be served.
Search "Awesome Android Apps" in the market
http://www.awesomeandroidapps.com
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby egyptian » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:52 pm

That's true. When I first signed up, I tried to find a JS script to serve the ads but was unable to. Do you have one you can share?
Without God, I would not have ANY skills.
egyptian
Developer
Developer

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:02 pm

Not for admob ... actually I imagine the networks would get peeved if you rolled your own code to serve their ads. I use javascript for adsense for content - I think it's the only option (though Adsense for Mobile uses CURL).
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby egyptian » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:04 pm

ohhh, ok. Yeah, I have to use JS with bidvertiser which is nice because as you said, the page doesn't have to wait for the ad to load.

I figured the JS code was posted somewhere that I didn't look but I guess admob doesn't want JS. More than likely because js being supported on mobile phones is still new.

although.. when you think about it, you can easily write a PHP script that calls another page which prints the ad's code using JS... it wouldn't really be that hard to do but that would kill admob's ability to track who's calling the ads and what not I suppose. That'll probably get you banned.
egyptian
Developer
Developer

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:22 pm

I don't see what you gain there? The client still has to execute the Javascript?
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby egyptian » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:27 pm

I think it'll allow the initial page to load faster. Here's the way I think it'd work...

1 - phone requests high scores page (in my case...)
2 - host returns page with js code
3 - phone displays page and loads js code calling host for ad code
4 - ad code returned by host and displayed after page loads...

does that sound right? I'm not 100% sure but I think that would work...

I wrote a sample to test it...

http://www.ODSLabs.com/android/4EverFall/test1.php

and it works...

BUT WAIT!!!

It doesn't have anything to read from the page, so i think it gets stuck on like one ad....
egyptian
Developer
Developer

Postby Emmanuel7 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:27 am

Hi all,

Some various questions on this subject :
* Is there any advantages to use adSense for Mobile on a webpage for android ?
* Egyptian, I saw you are using both Bidvertiser and admob on the same page. Is it alright to have two ad provider on one page ?

In my game, Word Prospector, I'm using AdMob as a Android widget in my main menu activity.
And I have mixed feeling about it :
* revenues are not very high ( often less than 0.05$ by clicks. I even had some clicks at 0.01$ !! )
* I tried to click on the ads twice : once it was a ad that said ( but in french ;) ) "Do you want to find a bar", and it send me to the Yahoo news page ! And the second one was saying something silly about monkeys and send me on the orange page ( orange is the french telecom provider leader )
* On the localization page, I have 0 clicks that are coming from France... Where are mines ?
* But for the rest, it just do the job, and it's easy to integrate ! ( and really nice to consult the dash board, and see how many people have launched my game !! )

So I plan to have a online high page as soon as possible, just as yours, Egyptian !
Emmanuel7
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby egyptian » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:06 am

Honestly,

I think admob will end up being better as an ad-client for mobile phones because it serves ads with mobile sites...

When you start talking about adsense or adcenter or yahoo publisher network or all these other websites, they'll serve full websites.... That aren't necessarily designed for mobile phones. This may end up hurting your clicks in the long run as your users/players will know after some time that the ads are to irrelevant websites.

As for the clicks that didn't go through, i'm not sure what's going on there but be very careful! If they track the clicks back to you in some way (say you log onto your account from your phone and that's where you clicked), they'll suspend or ban your account.

For some companies (adcenter) you don't even have to do that!!!!!!

Speaking of which, Brian; have you heard back from adcenter at all? I never got a reply from that lady.

Lastly,

I've been thinking of writing a small library to contain the high scores page layout. I would make it universal so that you can call the activity and send specific data to it and it would submit to the server or however. I think it would be neat to have a universal high scores system. I'm thinking of having this run off of my server (if it can hold it), and do some sort of profit-sharing for developers who'd like to use it. The benefits of this is so that you don't have to buy your own server, don't have to write your own scripts and databases to hold all of the high scores, and mess with all that crap. I've spent countless (literally, 100's) bettering the system and this would be kept up and updated since I'm constantly trying to make the scoring system better for my players.

I would set up some sort of profit sharing with devs who use the high score system supplied by me. Maybe 70% you, 30% me. That 30% would pay for everything like the server, maintenance and all.

I don't know. It's definitely not something I'd expect to make any real money off of, but I'd like to at least build a brand and help other devs who don't really need to re-invent the wheel. Let me know if you guys would be interested in it before I put all the time in making it open for all :)
egyptian
Developer
Developer

Postby torpor » Fri May 15, 2009 9:34 am

Did anyone read the Terms and Conditions that Microsoft are referring to here? Can you post them for us to read? Surely, there has to be details in the terms that might provide a clue about why they decided they can get away with just cancelling your account and not paying you any money .. is it because the ads are not embedded in a web browser, and so on?
torpor
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Mon May 18, 2009 5:13 am

In the thread here: http://www.anddev.org/avoid_non-mobile_ ... t6064.html

Mako quoted the following from the Adsense policy:

"To ensure a positive experience for Internet users and Google advertisers, sites displaying Google ads may not:
* Display Google ads, search boxes or search results as a result of the actions of software applications such as toolbars."

"Google ads, search boxes or search results may not be:
* Integrated into a software application of any kind, including toolbars."

I thought I had read every line of the fine print, but I don't remember seeing that when I signed up for Adsense. Regardless, it's in there, and that's probably what they got mad about.

I do wish they would have told me that and let me pull the ads instead of just disabling me. Now if (when) they release Adsense for Android, I won't be able to use it, since my account is banned. Oh well.

But this is an even clearer indication that you do not want to use an Adsense-in-a-webview strategy.

Edit: I don't know whether Microsoft has anything similar to that stated in their T&C.
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Previous

Return to Open News