RocketBallz Stage 2 driver's Forgiveness and Workability

News, information, contests and special event announcements from members of the anddev.org community.

RocketBallz Stage 2 driver's Forgiveness and Workability

Postby VictoriaSecret » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:26 am

TaylorMade has made from the 2012 Rocketballz driver to the 2013 TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Driver. Have you been thinking about what set is suitable to yourself?

At address, the RBZ Phase 2’s white color and gray/yellow alignment art may be a distraction if you’ve spent decades staring at solid color crowns with small, elegant alignment marks. As a product of the Apple generation, however, I find the white color striking and attractive, and the large triangle alignment detailing practical and useful. The clubface is 4,100 square millimeters and feels massive, even for a modern driver, with contact feeling less like the clubface striking the ball and more along the lines of a bulldozer clearing rubble off the tee.

My current driver is the cheap taylormade r11s driver, so I must say I was intrigued when asked to put the RocketBallz Stage 2 through its paces and see how it performed. When checking the specs and setting up the club to my preferences, I was a little surprised by one of my findings. When I put the club on our frequency analyzer, at 46 inches it came out to 272 cpm’s (cycles per minute). This is incredibly rigid for a shaft marked as a stiff. 272 cpm’s is on the high end of an X flex bordering on 2X.

While the Stage 2 driver doesn’t work miracles – that ball you started 40 yards right of your target line is gone, and nothing is bringing it back – marginal swings seem to curve mystically back towards the target line. If you’re like me and have polished an inconsistent swing into something reasonably workable, the TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Fairway Wood could fairly easily turn those three or four iffy tee shots a round.

The RBZ Phase 2 is not a terribly forgiving driver, particularly by 2013 standards. Miss center-face contact and you will see significant losses in carry and total distance. This is somewhat mitigated by the club’s impressive ability to keep the ball in front of you; personally, I’d happily give up 25 yards of carry on a miss to keep it somewhere I can play it.

In conclusion, other than the shaft being out of spec, the other aspects of the cheap golf clubs tested very well. This driver is stock at 46 inches long so I was a little more erratic with this club than my normal driver (45”), however the drives I hit solid did go farther.
VictoriaSecret
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Open News