Google applications on the Market today !

News, information, contests and special event announcements from members of the anddev.org community.

Google applications on the Market today !

Postby avolovoy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:54 am

So, it's kind of bitter sweet - google released couple of apps - and it's good news cause their scores apps looks awesome, but it basically put all the people who were writing that kind of apps out of business just because it'll be damn hard to compete with google on their field.
I think if it'll continue this way - next will be a finance apps to display stock and then we're going to see some social network and maps applications.
This probably good for consumer, although i'd rather see some improvements on OS level and to the market.
Alexey Volovoy
Bytesharp.NET
avolovoy
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Re: Google applications on the Market today !

Postby MrSnowflake » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:14 am

Well yeah, too bad for other programmers, yet, Google in this case is just an other developer releasing Android applications, so it's not unfair compitition.

If those others are going to have trouble reaching Googles quality level, then it's their problem and not the consumers. And if they still want to release their app, it will probably be as good as, or better than Googles effort, so the consumer wins!
And I like to believe that a lot such apps are apps google employees write in their 10% time.
MrSnowflake

Postby Danuubz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:49 pm

Developers may need to spend more time. They still can come to the top with good ideas or an adequate amount of effort.

Or working together with other deveopers instead of making everything alone. It is very clear that applications developed in 10-15h cannot rule the platform all over the periods. And that's just fine.
Sticky Note Cork&Orc [Android Market] : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewWaquAwZQY
Danuubz
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Sparkletron » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:39 am

avolovoy wrote:although i'd rather see some improvements on OS level and to the market.

I agree with you. Who can fault Google for doing what they do best? But I wish their priority was on polishing up the OS--something everyone could benefit from.
Sparkletron
Developer
Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:01 pm

Sparkletron wrote:
avolovoy wrote:although i'd rather see some improvements on OS level and to the market.

I agree with you. Who can fault Google for doing what they do best? But I wish their priority was on polishing up the OS--something everyone could benefit from.
That still is the Androids team priority. Google has this rule: Employees can work 10% of their time (or something like that) on opensource projects, and I suppose these Google Apps result from this 10%.
MrSnowflake

Postby Sparkletron » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:31 pm

MrSnowflake wrote:Employees can work 10% of their time (or something like that) on opensource projects, and I suppose these Google Apps result from this 10%.

Well their 10% beats my 100%. :)
Sparkletron
Developer
Developer

google wont compete with me my segment is too small

Postby agentengram » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:18 pm

instead of thinking big, maybe think smaller. then a large company like google wont compete for the segment.
I am an agent implantanted in your unconscious.
agentengram
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Open News