FOSDEM 2009 event

News, information, contests and special event announcements from members of the anddev.org community.

Will you come to FOSDEM 2009

Yes, I'll likely be there.
33%
I would if I could.
67%
No, not interesting.
No votes

Total votes : 3

FOSDEM 2009 event

Postby pjv » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:40 pm

It's almost time for FOSDEM again. Well, actually it's still two months, so consider this an early teaser:

Saturday 7 and Sunday 8 February 2009
Brussels, Belgium
http://www.fosdem.org

From the FOSDEM website:
"FOSDEM is probably the most developer-oriented Free and Opensource conference, taking place in Brussels, Belgium on Saturday 7 and Sunday 8 February 2009. Apart from having many invited speakers, the conference offers developer rooms, stands and lightning talks to projects from the Free and Opensource community. We hereby welcome proposals from projects to participate in organizing a devroom, manning a stand or holding a lightning talk."

What about you, the "regular" Android app dev or Android and open source enthousiast, will you be there?

(PS. I myself am not involved in the organization but I will likely be visiting.)
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:59 pm

Never heard of it before, but maybe I'll go, have to see what I have to do for school by then...

It's only 150km from my place, so that very much doable.
MrSnowflake

Postby pjv » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:09 pm

This post is a duplicate of this post in the Google Android Discuss group btw.

@MrSnowflake I was actually counting on you :wink:. If anybody lives "nearby", then it's you.

Though, distance shouldn't stop anyone. FOSDEM is visited mostly by Europeans from all over. It's the biggest open-source event in Europe (at least that's what I've heard). Oh, and ... did I mention it is ofcourse free (free as in "beer"!)?!
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:23 pm

Those are 2 awsome words: Free and beer! :).

Though I don't really get the goal of this event. Are there guest/keynote speakers of some sort, do we get to see presentation about cool stuff? What is going to go on there?
MrSnowflake

LeoLaporte

Postby shareme » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:26 pm

Leo Laporte covers FLOSS and FOSS with his twit episodes..

I do not know if he is covering this one as of yet..
shareme
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby pjv » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:04 pm

To get an idea of what FOSDEM is about look at last year's website. There are stands where open source projects present themselves. Also there are meetings between devs. And finally there are many big and small presentations on general and specific topics. Large open source projects can also make a reservation for a room where their devs can give presentations that are more directed internally, or organize coding sessions etcetera. Everything's public though (if not full). Not sure how interested people on this forum are in open source matters, so you'll have to see if this interests you.

At the moment there is nothing formally related to Android, which is why that is also a question in my post in the google group.

If several people from this forum attend (or with interest in Android in general), we could organize a small informal meeting.
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Is it Dutch or French? (or maybe English) Because my French sucks :).
MrSnowflake

Leo's FLOSS SHow

Postby shareme » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Leo Laporte covers FLos on Sat .. maybe he wil cover it?

Link:

http://twit.tv/FLOSS

FLOSS Schedule:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... o_z4LGo3ZQ
shareme
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby pjv » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:27 am

English, or whatever language makes sense :roll:
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby mrosseel » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:28 am

Hi all,

yes I've been visiting FOSDEM every year since it's beginning and it's a really nice conference, If you've never been to brussels it might also be a good reason to combine the two. Both saturday and sunday are packed with interesting lectures covering everything open source including Java (given sun's GPL'ing of the code and the various open source java implementations). Friday there's usually a pub-gathering to start off the weekend :)

It would be cool if there was something Android-related or we could have at least a meetup.

I live some 80km from Brussels and go there every day to work, so if you need some info let me know.

Mike
mrosseel
Developer
Developer

Who wants to sell a developers G1?

Postby gustavo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi All. I'm from Brazil and I wiil be at FOSDEM this year.
I'm an enthusiast of the Android platform, but the thing is that Google Checkout dosen't work for Brazil.
Would anybody be interested in buying T-Mobile G1 for developers for me? I can pay som overprice.
If you dont have it, here is the information of how to get it: >> Devices for Developers <<.
I have some urgence of the response.

Best Regards.
Gustavo Ávila.
androidforum.com.br.
gustavo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby pjv » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:39 pm

Seeing the large crowd at the Android Dev Camp in Amsterdam yesterday, I am actually quite confident now that we can get a group of people together to discuss all Android-related stuff at FOSDEM. To that goal we could use a little bit more responses here or in the google discussion group post though... so go ahead and give us your 'yes, I'm coming', 'no' or 'maybe' RSVP here (for those that haven't posted yet).
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby pjv » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:41 am

I'm at FOSDEM today (saturday). We can meet at 18:00 somewhere at the back of room Janson if anybody is interested. I'm wearing an Android t-shirt (look for the green robots) :-)

If possible post a reply please.
pjv
Developer
Developer

Return to Open News