Claret Jug inspires Els

News, information, contests and special event announcements from members of the anddev.org community.

Claret Jug inspires Els

Postby breenda » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:06 am

Open champion Ernie Else brought the Claret Jug with him to the PGA Tour's Frys.com Open in the hope that the coveted trophy inspires him to another victory.

It's the Holy Grail, man," Els said from San Martin, California on Thursday.

People have been searching for this their whole lives and don't get their hands on it so I like to take discount golf clubs around. To get my hands on this at my age has been really a bonus to my career."

The South African veteran won the trophy at Royal Lytham earlier this year - his fourth major triumph - after a dramatic come-from-behind final round when Australian Adam Scott took bogeys on the last four holes to squander the lead.

"I did fairly well last year here and that definitely gave me a bit of a boost. That was my goal, to play a lot of TaylorMade golf clubs and get myself into better positions on the weekends and see where my game is," Els, who finished fourth at the Frys.com Open in 2011, continued.

"That's kind of what we did and that's kind of what I want to start doing again now," Els said.

"I feel like since the Open, I haven't really been on form again. I'm working myself back into better habits again on the greens and in some aspects of my long game. It's always nice to play these kind of events and see where you are and what you need to work on."

Els recalls how he was written off by many fans before his victory at Royal Lytham in July, but is happy to have regained the faith of his supporters again.

"A lot of fans ... said they thought I was ready to retire. Now they're happy to see me around for another couple of years with an opportunity to win some more so it has really been kind of a revival.

"It just makes you feel so special. People really want to show encouragement when you win. It's hard when a player is down the way I was last year. It would be difficult for me to root for a guy that's down all the time.

"When I won taylormade r11 irons, the support I've had has just been unbelievable."

"It's a really terrible feeling competing out here and knowing in the back of your mind you don't know if you could handle it. Now I feel like I can really go out and enjoy my callaway x-24 hot irons again," he continued.

Nevertheless, the 'Big Easy' had doubts about his future on the PGA Tour himself after going more than two years without a trophy.

"Even when I'm playing badly, it's all good. But it has been a big change. It has taken a lot of weight off my shoulders. I'm starting to get ... on my game again and I know where I am and where I want to go. I'm really looking forward to Majors again."
breenda
Developer
Developer

Return to Open News