AdMob releases Ad Network SDK for Android

News, information, contests and special event announcements from members of the anddev.org community.

AdMob releases Ad Network SDK for Android

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:01 am

admob.com recently (yesterday I think) released an SDK for the android platform, and put a demo on the market http://www.cyrket.com/package/com.examp ... unarlander. It's an accelerometer-controlled version of Lunar Lander, and occasionally pops up a text ad at the bottom of the screen.

Their split is 60/40 in favor of the developer.

See their blog post: http://blog.admob.com/2009/01/28/introd ... lications/

I'm pretty excited about looking into this - it allows for much smoother ad integration than bringing up a webview, imo. Thoughts?

Che
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby plusminus » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi guys,

I'm using the really nicely implemented AdMob SDK now within all my apps on the market.
The output is not incredible but ok, as far as I can say that.

Its definitely better than adding a WebView with GoogleAds (especially because its at least a greyzone to put GoogleAds to your app)

The only problem is that it takes around 1.5 seconds for the ad to appear. That means no pre-loading :?

Best Regards,
Nicolas
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:00 pm

This SDK is REALLY easy to set up, with really good instructions. The README they send with the SDK explains everything you need to know. Well, except for how to not require the phone state permission (it's easy enough, I guess they just didn't want to spell it out for people).

I plan to release my first app, using admob, within a day or two. I'll try to report back on how it goes.

Che
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:55 am

Btw, plusminus, looking at the first couple of comments on your apps it doesn't look like anyone is complaining about the ads - is this the case? Have you gotten any angry users because of it?

Che
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby yorgosg » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Hello,

plusminus and ErnestoGuevara, can you please let us know which apps that you have used admob ads into, are currently in the android market? (i just want to download them and see how the ads look).

also, how much does admob pay per impression in general? i couldn't find info on their web site..

cheers
yorgosg
Developer
Developer

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:21 pm

Take a look at the demo I linked to in the OP.

You can either let it refresh every x seconds, or you can trigger ad requests with a method call when you think it's appropriate (between levels, for instance). You can also change the adbar's visibility at any time, if you need to get it out of the way so that it doesn't interfere with a particular display scenario.

eCPM will depend very much on your CTR and what kind of ads AdMob gives you (how expensive they are); in general I'm pulling in about 5-10 cents per click (this is after AdMob has already taken their 40%). Figure for your CTR to be somewhere between .3% and 3%.

Right now there are more clicks available than there are people paying for them, so you'll only get a quality fill rate for part of the day, before all the advertisers' budgets are spent for the day (at least, that's what I'm seeing, and what AdMob support more or less confirmed for me).

Keep in mind, the SDK has only been available for something like 10 days (and I personally just released my app ~40 hours ago), so all the rules of thumb are still being written.

Che
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby ernesto » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:14 am

@ErnestoGuevara and @plusminus

I'm not quite sure whether the results that you'll get now are the same, as when a lot of people are using your app.
To test whether it's annoying or not you should pick around 50-100 persons, who know and used your apps. You write them a mail and tell them whether they could test the new (with ads in it) version of the app. After that you state the results and you'll see a general interest. I think you can't count on 10 people where only 5-6 are effectively using your app and 2-3 have clicked on it. There have to be a lot of people to see whether it pays off or not.
greetings from Switzerland!

ernesto
ernesto
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

what you guys put on the URL

Postby drhu00 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:27 am

on admob site when I click

Add New Site
Your Mobile Site or Android App Name:
Used to refer to the site on AdMob.

Mobile Site URL:
Must be a mobile site (e.g. http://wap.admob.com) or the URL of your App in the Android Market.

what your guys put here? what's my android market appl URL?
drhu00
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Emmanuel7 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:20 am

Put the website associated with your application.

I think you should have one for the google submission.
Emmanuel7
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

don't understand

Postby drhu00 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:25 am

don't understand,
Please give me an example
drhu00
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Example: I have "Beat The Joker Slots" in the market, and I have a web page where users can learn about other apps and what's coming up - www.awesomeandroidapps.com. I could use that as the mobile site URL.

In the admob forums, an admob guy said that the mobile site URL really isn't very important for the android stuff; you can either provide the URL that an android intent could use to find your app in the market, or just an associated web page or something. Hell, you could probably put anddev.org. There didn't seem to be any real approval process for the app anyway.
Search "Awesome Android Apps" in the market
http://www.awesomeandroidapps.com
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby droozen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:30 pm

I sent them an email and they said the application associated with your application is fine (and the URL is not really used for Android apps, at the moment).

Or, you can put the URL straight to your app on the market. I tried market://search?q=pname:com.roozen.PiggyBankDroid, and the AdMob site didn't like that. The support at AdMob said I could use http://market.android.com/search?q=pnam ... yBankDroid

But again, it's not really important for Android apps, at the moment.
droozen
Developer
Developer

how much you earn by the admob?

Postby drhu00 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:06 pm

my two days data
Ad Requests: CPC Impressions: Fill Rate: eCPM: CPC Revenue Total Revenue:
217 233 107.37% $0.46 $0.11 $0.11
drhu00
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:29 pm

I wonder how you managed to get more impressions that ad requests.

(Hey check it out guys - I'm an "experienced developer")
Search "Awesome Android Apps" in the market
http://www.awesomeandroidapps.com
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby apple2183 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:34 am

apple2183
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Next

Return to Open News