Programming Android vs programming WP7

try{ getFittingBoard(new Topic()); }
catch (Exception e) { postHere() };

Programming Android vs programming WP7

Postby gotenks » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:12 pm

Hello,

Currently I am parallely learnig how to program against
Android and how to program against Windows Phone 7.
My overal impression is that programming against WP7
is far more easier and straigth forward. I "have a feeling"
that Android / Java is not well designed, nor consistent,
for example in naming classes. methods or constants.
It has got a "not well designed" model of working. For
example to know if user canceled or accepted a dialog
thru accept or cancel buutons you have to use "delegates",
etc, etc.
But ... since I am not a *skilled* developer it''s quite
possible that my opinion is simply wrong, so I would
like to here some "feedback" from others, using
AND and WP7 :).
gotenks
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Programming Android vs programming WP7

Postby jonbonazza » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:25 pm

What language does WP7 SDK use? Objective C?

At any rate, the android SDK is simply a library of classes that are built to work with the Java programming language. Java is the king of OOP (Object-Oriented Programming). I am not sure of your development backgroudn, but if you do not have knowledge and/or experience w/ Java, then you will likely find it cumbersome. Once you can get used to its design (I am still note entirely there yet, as I come from a strong background in C/C++ which is *mostly* sequential, rather than object-oriented), you will find it is VERY powerful. Objective C is a second stab at making the C language object-oriented (The first stab was C++). Although it is not a bad language, it doesn't have quite the power in terms of OOP that Java does. This could simply be for the fact that Java has been around much longer than Objective C however.
jonbonazza
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby jonbonazza » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:25 pm

What language does WP7 SDK use? Objective C?

At any rate, the android SDK is simply a library of classes that are built to work with the Java programming language. Java is the king of OOP (Object-Oriented Programming). I am not sure of your development backgroudn, but if you do not have knowledge and/or experience w/ Java, then you will likely find it cumbersome. Once you can get used to its design (I am still note entirely there yet, as I come from a strong background in C/C++ which is *mostly* sequential, rather than object-oriented), you will find it is VERY powerful. Objective C is a second stab at making the C language object-oriented (The first stab was C++). Although it is not a bad language, it doesn't have quite the power in terms of OOP that Java does. This could simply be for the fact that Java has been around much longer than Objective C however.
jonbonazza
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby gotenks » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:42 pm

It seems you did not understand my conserns properly :). I've never programmed against mobile devices so far, until recent requiremets, and so far I have used C++ as my main development language. But lately the decision was taken
that one of our firm's app has to have a mobile client. Android and an upcoming WP7 were chosen as a first platforms the client will be built on. And I started almost immediatelly to learn C# and Java simeltanously, Silverlight and Android API. I am at a begining of a road, but even at this stage I see some Java and Android disadvantages against C# and
Silverlight. That's all.
gotenks
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jonbonazza » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:58 pm

So I take it that C# is the lanugage that the WP7 uses? Interesting... At any rate, I have never used C#, nor the silverllight package, so I cannot give any personal feedback on either of these, however I will say that, coming from a strong background in C/C++, Java was a bit cumbersome to play with at first. With this said, after some practice, I soon realized that it is much more powerful on a higher-level (Obviously, C/C++ will always prevail in lower-level programming), than any other language I have experience with.
jonbonazza
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to OFF-Topic