New to Android... a couple of general questions

try{ getFittingBoard(new Topic()); }
catch (Exception e) { postHere() };

New to Android... a couple of general questions

Postby ama269 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:35 pm

I apologize, as I did not know the best place to post this.

I have been developing iPhone applications and would like to start development for Android as well (for obvious reasons), and have a few general questions:

1. Do I need to own a device running android in order to sign/submit/gain approval for android applications?

2. Do I need to pay anything more than the $25 application fee - is that yearly or a one-time fee?

3. Payments & Reporting (I'm in the US):
How often do payments come (Monthly)?
Does Google take a percentage like Apple?
Is there some sort of sales reporting vehicle?

4. Are there any great books to help me from start to finish in both development to launching a paid app that people have used in the past?

Thanks in advance! This forum looks great!
ama269
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby nmc » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:28 pm

Do I need to own a device running android in order to sign/submit/gain approval for android applications?

You dont need a device but you should consider buying one for testing your apps (some people say that results on emulator and real device are different sometimes but i didnt saw that yet).

As you are now in freedom (not in jail as with apple), you dont need any approval to submit your apps;
you can write apps that do the same things googles apps do, you can write apps that execute code, ...
you are allowed to do anything and you are even not not limited to market publishing - instead you can provide download links on your website, use alternative markets, deliver your apps on cd to your customers... anything you like :)

Do I need to pay anything more than the $25 application fee

No, and you dont even have to pay the market-fee if you dont want to publish there.

Does Google take a percentage like Apple?

Yes, same amount.

Are there any great books to help me from start to finish in both development to launching a paid app that people have used in the past?

I was able to get all my problems solved by using this forum, googles sdk-docs and some google-searching even though i was new to android, eclipse and java -- so you probably will not need any books, too ;)
nmc
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby ama269 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks nmc!

A lot of what you typed is so foreign to me after developing for iPhone over the last 6-8 months that it's almost unbelievable (but is common sense).

Can't wait to get started!

Another question-
I'm general, how long does it take from the date you submit an app to the date you see it in the market place?
ama269
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby nmc » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:34 pm

A lot of what you typed is so foreign to me after developing for iPhone over the last 6-8 months that it's almost unbelievable

Welcome to the real world ;)
When apple opened their platform, i took a look at the conditions for writing apps and immediately stopped to have any interest in doing this.

I'm general, how long does it take from the date you submit an app to the date you see it in the market place?

As I read in other forums, apps are visible in the market within seconds after submitting them.
nmc
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby ama269 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Thank you for all of the answers so far.

I have installed the SDK on Snow Leopard & have completed & ran Hello, World last night which is great. It took me some time to get the SDK installed as I have not programmed in Java, or used command line in a linux environment since college (11 years).

Three newb questions regarding devices-
1. Regarding testing and installing a device: Does anyone have a recommendation for a cost effective device that I could purchase (on ebay or otherwise) that will not run me $399 like the android dev phones?

2. I already have a blackberry through work and an iphone that I use as my personal phone, so I will not be getting a contract with this device: If the device that I purchase is unlocked, can I upgrade my OS to 2.0 and develop without a contract at no additional cost (I assume yes?)?

Thanks again all! I am excited to get started!
ama269
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby nmc » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:25 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cost effective device that I could purchase (on ebay or otherwise) that will not run me $399 like the android dev phones?

Get an G1 from eBay, its the same hardware as the (first) dev-phone.

If the device that I purchase is unlocked, can I upgrade my OS to 2.0 and develop without a contract at no additional cost (I assume yes?)?

For my german G1, i needed a borrowed D1 sim for the first boot-up (phone wanted to connect to my google account); after that, i removed the card and used my own (D2) without any problems.

I never checked if the G1 will run w/o a sim-card, but i know the tattoo does, so i assume the G1 might work, too.
nmc
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby ama269 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:15 pm

I never checked if the G1 will run w/o a sim-card, but i know the tattoo does, so i assume the G1 might work, too.

I know this is asking a lot but is there any way you could remove it and see what happens? I am reluctant to spend $150 - $250 without knowing.
ama269
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby nmc » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:07 pm

I know this is asking a lot but is there any way you could remove it and see what happens? I am reluctant to spend $150 - $250 without knowing.

Sorry for the late answer...
My phone is running a cyanogen rom instead of the original one, so a test with my phone might not give the same answer as a test using an 'original' phone.
nmc
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby ama269 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:01 pm

No worries - I asked a couple of the sellers on eBay.

I can use my current iPhone sim to activate and then it will work. I just might need to put a sim in while testing.
:!:
Never in my life would I think I'd have 3 cell phones at one time...
ama269
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby ama269 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Sweet - just found a G1 on ebay for $86.
ama269
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to OFF-Topic