Introduce yourself...

try{ getFittingBoard(new Topic()); }
catch (Exception e) { postHere() };

Postby plusminus » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Yes its capable of walking, but no sensors yet. Being unused for > 1 year now, because of my study.
It has 3 Servos (1 in the hip 2 in the leg-part) each leg :arrow: 18 altogether (was pretty expensive :( ).
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bluefloyd8 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:02 am

Good servos can be a little expensive. Especially when you have 18. I just got finished with my first robotic-like project. A 7 1/2 ft helium blimp; controlled through WiFi and a user website. Nothing as fancy as what you have there though.
bluefloyd8
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby plusminus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:53 am

:D We can control your robot from the internet :?: Thats cool. Mine can only walk in random directions (random because of 0 sensors ^^)
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby res » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi, I'm a Senior Software Engineer and have spent the past 3+ years working with J2me developing mobile games for one of the larger companies in the business releasing games world wide.

While not fully on the Android bandwagon I'm keeping a close eye on it and working on a developer contest entry during my spare time.
res
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby ramgraph1 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:49 am

I teach English and do some other work (not at all computer related) in Japan. I'm more of an artist than a programmer and started learning Java a bit in November after hearing about Android. Before that I did a bit of JavaScript to use in Unity3D. With my weak programming skills I'd be sunk without anddev!
I think Android is really exciting despite the fact that until recently I was a big keitai (cell phone) hater. In Japan though, if a content creator wants to reach lots of people, cell phones are sure to be THE way to go, if not now then very soon, and I hope Android can do well here - it certainly should!
Just want to add a big thanks to all of the people who have taken time to help people out on the forums here - especially plusminus. Anddev is awesome!
ramgraph1
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Jesmiatka » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:27 am

Hi!

I'm Mike, 19 years old and I'm an ICT student in the Netherlands. I'm currently doing my internship for school. My assignment is to researching the possibilities of Android and creating an application to show these possibilities.

My previous work contains PHP, MySQL, Javascript, Adobe Flex (ActionScript3) & JAVA (used in combination with things like Hibernate and XFire).
I find JAVA the most interesting of all these and I am very excited about doing this assignment.

Yours sincerely,
Mike Jesmiatka
Jesmiatka
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby eugenk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:49 pm

Hi guys ! With pleasure read about colleagues. Sorry for my poor English. Likely I'm oldest in community. My name is Eugene. I'm 46 years (8 of July 1961). Live in Russia. In Moscow. I'm a nuclear physicist by education. But mainly works as a programmer. Total experience in programming is about 25 years. Mainly it was low level and even hardware (FPGA for example). So favorite languages C, Forth and various assemblers. Also familiar very closely with Matlab. Android SDK downloads only 28.01.2008. So I'm very beginner. Java experience at all also not very large. It begins approx 3 years ago wit Eclipse, for which I wrote plugins. But going take part in Android Developer Challenge and think to win. Most interests excepting programming is extremal kinds of sports. Bikes. rolling skates, extremal tourism etc. One another kind of extremal activity is forex trading. More exactly - automated trading systems, based on artificial intelligence. If you are interested, visit http://www.mql4.com. Android addicts me at first as linux-based system, and in second addicts OpenGL ES. I newer seen OpenGL for mobiles earlier. Probably in this forum I'll mostly not ask, but answer. Exactly, speak about various things, interesting for me. Now, I interested mostly in OpenGL ES and graphics at all. Hope, that it will be useful for other developers. Once more, my English is poor. So if you're going to answer me, please don't use too complicated language. OK ? Well I think :) So welcome regardless with sex, age and country of residence :)
eugenk
Developer
Developer

Postby WauloK » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:58 pm

I'm a Queensland, Australian computer geek.
Over the years I've had Palm OS devices and currently have a PocketPC I don't use that much, apart from beta testing games for Astraware.co.uk
I've had an on again off again interest in programming.
I've been a computer addict for about 24 years or so.
I've done BASH scripting, Perl scripting, PHP scripting, MySQL scripting, C++ programming (some), a touch of Java programming, networking, SysAdminning, etc.
I want to get back into programming to perhaps move into that realm as a fulltime job some time soon. Since Java is a particularly popular platform for businesses these days I wanted to get into that more than ever. I've had some experience with mobile platforms and with the Google platform becoming very popular in the future I want to get my teeth into that. As the Google mobile platform is Java, it all meshes nicely.
It looks like the future will be Android and Windows Mobile, with Palm using Windows Mobile extensively and Sony/Ericsson just adopting it from this month it seems inevitable these will be the two main competing platforms.

I programmed a simple but fun game for the Palm OS platform several years ago called "Quirl". You can see it on PocketGear. I did the graphics, music and programming myself.
AndroidChi - Applications for the Google Android platform.
WauloK
Developer
Developer

Postby res » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:50 am

Hey Waulok, I'm originally from Australia but have spent many a years relocating around the globe. Always good to see another aussie :)
res
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby WauloK » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:59 am

G'day mate ;)
WauloK
Developer
Developer

Postby plusminus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:32 pm

WauloK wrote:I programmed a simple but fun game for the Palm OS platform several years ago called "Quirl". You can see it on PocketGear. I did the graphics, music and programming myself.

Hello waulok,

you received $3.95 USD (minus fees) for each download :?:

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eugenk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:19 pm

WauloK by the way. How many have you got earn ? Not think that I'm crazy with money. Simply interesting, how many it is possible to earn with simple game ? :) Regards before. Eugene.

P.S One idea. Maybe it will be useful to rewrite your game in Java and place simple Java-applet to your web-page ? Then buyers can try your game online before to download.

P.P.S. Already dream to travel to Australia... If I'll win in Challenge, want to spend some money to do it. :) :) :)
eugenk
Developer
Developer

Postby WauloK » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:17 am

plusminus wrote:
WauloK wrote:I programmed a simple but fun game for the Palm OS platform several years ago called "Quirl". You can see it on PocketGear. I did the graphics, music and programming myself.

Hello waulok,

you received $3.95 USD (minus fees) for each download :?:

Regards,
plusminus

Yes and No.
PocketGear takes 40% of all sales. That application should be given away free now since it wasn't as good at raising revenue for me. The game was popular enough. The problem is they'd send cheques each month after purchases were made. They'd take 40% (it was originally $9.95) and I'd get a cheque for US$3.98. Unfortunately, to convert to my country's currency the banks charge AUD$10 per cheque! So I could never cash the cheques. I ended up giving it away free with a coupon generated by PalmGear (which it was before they merged PalmGear and PocketGear). For some reason, after the merge they dropped my coupon and the info about it in the description. There should also be a Christmas version (you can still find info and screenshots about that in a Google search), but that's dropped off the website totally.. along with another funky little freebie I wrote called "Iron Filings".

I did make some money out of it and had a few cheques to cash, but there's soooo many applications and games for Palm and PalmOs is currently in a huge lull. Everyone is moving to Windows Mobile or Google Android. I predict they are the two future OS's. Even Sony/Ericsson changed from their platform to WM this month. So many people gave up on PalmOs. Although Access's new PalmOs has a new SDK out today, I think it's too late for Palm.
WauloK
Developer
Developer

Postby WauloK » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:20 am

eugenk wrote:P.S One idea. Maybe it will be useful to rewrite your game in Java and place simple Java-applet to your web-page ? Then buyers can try your game online before to download.

P.P.S. Already dream to travel to Australia... If I'll win in Challenge, want to spend some money to do it. :) :) :)

Well now I am getting into Java programming it could be an idea. A pity you can't upload a Dalvik Android Java application to the web and let people play a limited version. Seems a shame to write two different versions of your game :-/

We'll save you some beer when you come over to Australia! Good luck in the contest :)
WauloK
Developer
Developer

Postby eugenk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:22 am

WauloK, why shame ??? It will be shame, if game logic will be different in both versions. You can use AWT or SWING for web applet and OpenGL ES for Android. But it affects only to game picture. Game logic will be provided with the same sources in both versions. And it will be written in Java. Separation into platform-depended and platform-independent parts is simple a good programing style, and you can to do it with easy :) You must only to provide the same interfaces to both versions of graphical gameplay. It will be interesting to look at your game... Are you going to take part in Challenge ? If "yes", maybe we are competitors :) :) :) But no matters. There is "Terra Sainti" how says Dunkan mk'Laud :) Maybe I'll can help you with your project in future, after Challenge. When I'll not so busy... :)
eugenk
Developer
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to OFF-Topic