Hype of Android without reason?

try{ getFittingBoard(new Topic()); }
catch (Exception e) { postHere() };

Hype of Android without reason?

Postby salza » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:43 pm

As you can read in many news every week Android is seen as THE smartphone OS for the future (or even now).
I don't really understand, why there is such a hype for Android.

Or maybe someone in here can tell me the advantages that Android has in comparison to the other Smartphone OS like iPhone OS, Symbian, RIM OS etc.

I mean you could say that Android is open-source, but Symbian is in a process to become also an open-source platform and they have officially announced that they will be totally open-source in July 2010.

But beside that open-source discussion there should be other arguments that Android is really better then the other OS, otherwise there should not be such a Hype. What are these?
salza
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Shanytc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:39 pm

maybe because behind Android, stand a company who has a vision about the future and actually do something about it, unlike other companies who (though having a good operating systems both mobile/desktop) who got stuck in the past and does not contribute an inch to the future.

thanks to google, a lot has changes, see the HTML5, Android, Web Tool Kit (see Google Wave) and other apps and features that are going out.
- Shany -
Shanytc
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby freewheelnat » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:29 pm

The fact that Google is behind it has a lot to do with the hype. Also, the fact it is open source means that devices in all price ranges will be able to use it - yes, Symbian is getting open source but isn't there yet. I expect many cheaper smartphones powered by Android to flood the market, especially in developing countries.

Lastly, most of the media is lazy and just copy each other's news. Most journalists are in agreement until a leading one changes his/her tune and then, they all follow. They build things up then knock them down, so expect a backlash against Android and Google soon. Meanwhile, pick the platform you want to develop for using your own judgement and assessment, not just to follow a perceived trend.
freewheelnat
Developer
Developer

Postby WarrenFaith » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:01 pm

3 technical reasons:

• Works on more than one device! IPhone OS has just to work on Apple Devices, no competitor... Symbian development is a pain in the ass. If your app work on a Nokia S65 doesn't mean it works on a A60....
  • Parallel programs. IPhone/Symbian you can hear music, but it stops if you want to play a game.
  • You don't have to care about finishing your application and free memory. Android does this for you.
  • Windows Mobile... someone using Windows Mobile? I know nobody....
WarrenFaith

Postby nmc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:44 pm

iPhone/iPod:
  • You need to buy an apple-computer to be able to create iPhone apps
    (Android: any computer will do)
  • You need to pay a yearly fee to be able to publish your apps
    (Android: one time fee for market-membership)
  • Chances are that you work really hard (and really long) on finishing an app, and then apple just says "no" if you want to put it in their app-store
    (Android: no censoring unless the users(!) decide otherwise)
  • the only way to publish apps is the app-store, which means
    • if apple decides that your app isnt their taste, your work was entirely useless
    • you cant create apps for special customers (unless you work for a huge company [>1000 employes], in that case you can buy a special license from apple (for an exorbitant price, of course))
    (Android: install from everywhere)
  • latest improvement, important enough to create a commercial for it: copy&paste :lol:
  • non-"i*" devices doesnt explode in your hands :wink:
nmc
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to OFF-Topic